3 function hammer drill - DeWalt or Makita?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two options for hammer drills:

1) DeWalt D2512K (26mm in concrete)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d25123k-gb-2kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-230v/27907

2) Makita HR2470 (24mm in concrete)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-hr2470-2-2kg-sds-plus-drill-240v/99908

Both have same functions with almost similar capabilities. Based on the reviews, I presume they both are very good.

Want to know from this group if they know of any drawbacks/limitations or negatives about these drills, which can help me choose one over the other?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have the Makita HR2470/2 2kg SDS Plus Drill 240V,
it's a cracking drill, got it a bit cheaper than the current price quoted though.
Can't compare it to the DeWalt as I have no experience of using it.
But the Makita suits me fine, can't knock it.

you must never ever believe the review as being fair and accurate when the company selling is fully in control and vets the reviews altering or deleting before they are posted
now it can range from 100% accurate and balanced to 95% inaccurate
you will always get a few negative to make it believable

Neither, DeWalt is nothing more than Black & Decker in a dinner jacket and Makita whilst good is a little lower on the spec. You should go for the Bosch 2-26DRE, which incidentally is also £40 cheaper if you go here http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/bosch-gbh-2-26-dre-hammer-drill Three year warranty too, you won't get that with the others. The MVF website has gone a bit odd, on my PC at least, you need to scroll to the bottom to find the drill if it doesn't come up at the top!

Sponsored Links
@PrenticeBoyofDerry: thanks for providing reassurance! I've heard nothing but praise for Makita. Makita is not fully established in India and hence, this drill is not available for display. I'll have to order it without actually seeing one. But I guess, the build quality is so good that I don't have to worry too much.

@big-all: yes, positives are already advertised by manufacturers. Almost all the tools in a specific range have similar positives. For me, it's generally the knowledge of limitations which helps me make a decision.

@muggles: even I don't like DeWalt that much but this is the only brand which has maximum penetration in India. Looks like I'll have to go with Bosch 2-26DRE as Makita mysteriously pulled away all its hammer drills from the market. Bosch was my fall back option as it's little bulky for once in a year kind of DIYer like me. And thanks for the MVF link; unfortunately I cannot use it as I am in India. :)

@PrenticeBoyofDerry: thanks for providing reassurance! I've heard nothing but praise for Makita. Makita is not fully established in India and hence, this drill is not available for display. I'll have to order it without actually seeing one. But I guess, the build quality is so good that I don't have to worry too much.
Makita in the early days, you could question the all round quality.
They have got much better and I am impressed with the standard of some of their kits. I do look for certain aspects in the tools I buy, value, durability, suitability and to by truthful. I don't really look at much past Makita.

If you look around the average building site at 2kg SDS drills you tend to find Makitas, Bosches and a small number of Metabos. The hire companies seem to prefer Makitas and Bosches. deWalts SDS drills are a rarity. I think that speaks volumes.

BTW my own 2kg SDS is a Metabo. Wouldn't touch the smaller DWs with a barge pole

deWalts SDS drills are a rarity.

And I guess DeWalt sensed this opportunity and saturated Indian market with far too many options. Here, only one model is available from Bosch and Makita in 3 function, 2 KG range. But DeWalt has 3 to 5 such models.

I want either a Makita or Bosch but there are DeWalts everywhere and all the dealers boast of DeWalt's superiority. I guess DeWalt marketing persons have got some serious training as all of them can list its 'unmatched' features half asleep. I thought probably DeWalt has got really better and so, I posted a query here.

Thanks for your response. DeWalt is definitely off my list. Metabo isn't available here yet.

It's not that De Walt have got any better or worse, the rest have caught up!
Forgive me for saying it, but SDS was invented by Bosch with their first 2kg drills appearing in the UK in the late 1970s well before "yellow" deWalt came into existence. The other early entrant was Kango with a range of 3kg hydraulic SDS drills which have gradually developed into the Milwaukee pneumatic SDS drills of today.As it happens I bought my first Bosch SDS in 1982 and it lasted me more than 20 years - I can recall that in the early days the biggest problem was actually finding anyone who stocked the bits - that was in the Home Counties. If anything it is deWalt who are (still) catching up

Makita,

I have had a selection of dewalt and Makita over the years and dewalt batterys are all ways a fail, Makita ones seem to be going on stronger than the dewalt even though nothing else massivley wrong witht hem just on the long hall the makitas have been better for me, the bosch drills all ways lack punch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back