3 month warranty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Similar problem to a recent post. My daughter has a Fiat Punto which has
broken down. We have had it for just over 3 months. A friend has diagnosed head gasket.
I have spoken to the dealer who keeps quoting 'the warranty is only valid for 3 months'.
Can anyone confirm if that is absolutely legal. Another friend thinks that he should cover part of the cost.
The car cost just over 2.5k

cheers

steve

Sponsored Links
Is this a second-hand car?

What was said about warranties when it was bought?

2nd hand car. x reg. It is written on the invoice saying 3 months for
engine and gearbox.
But as my friend has said to me. The warranty is second to your statutory rights. That is, the car should be fit for purpose and not just for 3 months.
It should be ok for a 'reasonable' length of time.

I just wanted to hear from anyone who had been in this situation and
what was the outcome

ta

the car has to be up to purpose for 6 months have you stopped driving the car since you reported the fault because if you continue to drive it and it makes it worse they can weasle out of it if you have no joy with them honoring it you have to take them to the small claims court

Sponsored Links
My daughter didn't drive the car after the fault materialised.
But things have moved on. The head gasket work has been done by the seller of the car. I contributed £150 to the cost.
We received the car back and it had an idling problem. Seemed to
be misifiring. It stalled once. So it was back to the garage who had
it for another 2 days. Got it back yesterday and seems ok (so far)
The garage said to keep any eye on the water /oil and he wants to have
a look at the car after about another 1000 miles.

We have about 5/6 weeks before the 6 month period is up. I imagine if anything else is going to go wrong it should show up in about 7 weeks !!

Thanks for responding kk

steve

the faults it had when they returned it to you are common with head gasket faults so they probably hadnt fixed it properly if its running fine now just keep an eye on the temperature gauge and check the oil to see if it has a creamy look to it and check their is no oil in the water

kk, Thanks for getting back to me. I will do as you suggest
and keep an eye on the oil and temperature gauge.
Fingers are crossed

cheers

steve

Back