3 Phase cable size confusion? for workshop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents

I'm confused about what size 3 phase cable I should run from my meter to my workshop? I recently had a new supply put in (80 amp) 3c-25mm cu service cable to the top of my drive, and there is another 35 meters to the distribution board, Western Power tell me to carry on with the 25mm, but a sparky I had quote me suggested 50mm with a 25mm earthing cable to reduce voltage drop, wouldn't going up to a larger cable have the opposite effect?

Regards
Kev
20220115_092840.jpg
20220115_092858.jpg
20220115_092907.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm confused about what size 3 phase cable I should run from my meter to my workshop? I recently had a new supply put in (80 amp) 3c-25mm cu service cable to the top of my drive, and there is another 35 meters to the distribution board, Western Power tell me to carry on with the 25mm, but a sparky I had quote me suggested 50mm with a 25mm earthing cable to reduce voltage drop, wouldn't going up to a larger cable have the opposite effect?
No - the larger the cable size, the less would be the voltage drop for any given load.

Whether voltage drop might be enough of an issue to justify going up to a larger cable size would depend on the maximum load you envisaged running in the workshop (hence through the cable) - can you give us any idea of what that might be?

Kind Regards, John

I think from memory with all my machines running (lathe, milling machine, etc) which would never happen, was around 25kva.

Kev

25mm² is plenty for that distance, even if you use the full 80A.

5 core 25mm² SWA and a suitable switchfuse, once the meter has been installed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back