3 phase generator output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having a discussion with someone about how many amps per phase will i get out of an 80KVA, 3phase genny - and we both get different answers. i get 92.75A, he gets 160A.

my way: 80KVA x 0.8pf, 64KW, /230v = 278.26A /3 = 92.75

his way: 80KVA x0.8pf, 64KW /230v = 278.26A /1.73 = 160.84A

So, are any of these right?

Sponsored Links
You're both wrong - 80kVA is 116A per phase @ 230/400V

Which is the maximum current the genny can provide

I think it depends on the situation, what I think the manufacturer is saying is that it can produce 80KVA when given a load with 0.8 power factor so if your load has a power factor of 0.8 then your limit will be what ricicle says but if your load has a power factor of 1 then it will be what you say.

Your friend is just plain wrong

Sponsored Links
When looking at the kVA rating of a genny this is refering to the maximum current it can supply at rated voltage.(VA)

Thus 80000/ (1.73x400) = 116A approx per phase

Depending on the power factor of the load will depend how much of this current is doing actual work (real power - kw) and how much is contributing to reactive power (KVar)

@ Unity PF I had 115.47 but I did go the whole hog and use 1.732

Is the quoted 80kVA prime or standby power because that has a big influence on what you actually draw for any length of time.

where does this 1.732 come from?

i thought it was x0.7... or is that to get power per phase from 3 phase KW?
nevermind, it's sqrt 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back