Phase 3 generator Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a phase 3 generator that is powered by a tractor and for some reason its not producing enough voltage.

For example, 1000rpm from the tractor should provide 230v etc but for some reason 2000rpm wouldn't give 200v and I can't even reach 230v now.

I have hardly used this generator for 15 hours worth and its giving problems even though I've had it for 2-3 years. I was using it for drill action and its started to give problems now that I need it.

Any one know what the most likely problem is before I take it to someone whom will fix it?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Darkness said:
For example, 1000rpm from the tractor should provide 230v etc but for some reason 2000rpm wouldn't give 200v and I can't even reach 230v now.

the RPM affects the the frequency. so if you double the RPM to 2000, then you will change the output frequency to 100Hz instead of 50Hz

Sponsored Links
<RPM affects the the frequency>

True, but I suspect that there is some minimum speed below which the excitation circuitry won't work.

If the alternator has stopped working at RPM figures where it previously was OK, I agree with Breezer. Check (or get checked) the voltage regulation circuitry (which I suspect will be closely associated with the excitation circuitry).

Just out of interest, is the alternator made by the firm in Oakham (Rutland)? (My apologies to them but I've forgotten their name.) If so, look for a web-site or try a phone call.

Cheers for the replies.

Not sure on the make of the alternator, I'll have to check tomorrow. When I bought the generator, I had an electrician connect a voltage reader/reporter to it and a single socket for which I connect my, drills/welders, and to a house socket to power it when power failure etc.

For me to use the generator, I rev the tractor up until the voltage displayer reports 230v etc then power my tools from the socket fitted.

At first I thought it might just be the voltage reader but when I connected an air compressor to it, you knew straight away from the sound of it that voltage was nowhere near to what it should be which shoulded the voltage reader was working fine.

It looks like I'll have to take it away to be fixed as its so concealed that the only thing I can easily gain access to is the voltage reader.

Alternator is a Sincro 21kVA 3 Phase (http://www.sogagroup.co.uk/) for those interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back