3 Phase installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to run all of the cabling to a new joinery shop (3 phase) prior to getting an electrician in to connect everything. I simply need to know what size of SWA cable to run and what the maximum length can be?

I have four machines plated as follows:

Radial Arm Saw - 2.94KW, 4.6Amps, 50Hz
Planer/Thicknesser - 2.2KW, 8.15/4.7 Amps, 50 Hz
Combination Machine - 2.2KW, 8.15/4.7 Amps, 50Hz
Dust Extractor - 3.75KW, 8.5 Amps, 50 Hz

Do I need 2.5mm or 4mm 4core SWA cable?
The longest run from the distribution board to machine would be approx 12 metres. Anything untoward with this?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Sponsored Links
I'm not an electrician, but looking at the plates of all the equipment I am wondering if they are all 400V/415V 3-phase... I can't really see a consistency between them. Perhaps someone can show us why not!

When sizing your cable you need to decide if everything will be used together or not. If it is, your total current looks to be about 30A. Also, will anything else be using this circuit? Lighting, heating, water heater, a fridge, microwave, kettle perhaps?

Sorry, I should have stated, all four machines are 415v. In addition there will be two single phase 13amp rings and two 5amp lighting rings.
AdamW said:
I'm not an electrician, but looking at the plates of all the equipment I am wondering if they are all 400V/415V 3-phase... I can't really see a consistency between them. Perhaps someone can show us why not!

When sizing your cable you need to decide if everything will be used together or not. If it is, your total current looks to be about 30A. Also, will anything else be using this circuit? Lighting, heating, water heater, a fridge, microwave, kettle perhaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back