3 Phase Meter Query - usage on each phase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With prices going up, I'm trying to get a better understanding of the electricity usage around the building at different times. We have a 3 phase smart meter, but is there a way to get usage on each phase? Each phase feeds into its own fuse board.

If not its just going round with a power monitor / plug on each known appliance

TIA

Sponsored Links
This
1661252106415.png
is not a true energy monitor, as it only measures amps, not volts and power factor, but in the main it is enough to work out where and how much energy is used.

This View attachment 277487is not a true energy monitor, as it only measures amps, not volts and power factor, but in the main it is enough to work out where and how much energy is used.
The calculated power assumes 230V so in reality these devices may tend to read a tad low but as Eric says they are fine for most domestic usage.

I've fitted loads of this type of thing:
1661253161851.png

with current transformers and they are usually as accurate as the DNO meter. The capabilities vary across the different makes/models but generally they record crazy amounts of info. I suspect the cost of supply and fit will take a long time to recoup in any energy savings you may make.

Sponsored Links
I have three plug in energy monitors, and one total usage type given free by Scottish power before the move to smart meters.

This
1661257583229.png
is the result from one of those plug in meters today, connected to a smart lead acid battery charger, I am watching to see if the old VRLA battery recovers, mainly just for interest, rather than a need to know, but the display above does not really show what is going on.

Watching the built in volt meter on the battery charger I can see the voltage raising to 14.4 volts at which point the charger switches off, and drop to 12.8 at which point it switches on again, swapping from 0.1 amp to 0.8 amp each time. So around 2 watt to 10 watt, but the time scale means the monitor shows average of 2 to 3 watt.

And this is the problem with energy watching, it can give misleading results, in the main we know a device uses 65 watt or other figure as written some where on a plate on the device, what we don't know is how long it uses 65 watt for. So the freezer is rated say 240 kWh/annum so we know there are 8760 hours in a year, so an average of around 27 watt, so it should run for 23.7% of the time, so around 3 times the static time to run time.

I can do that with my wrist watch if I really want to, but even if it runs equal time on and off, what am I going to do about it? Is it really worth renewing?

I know my sky box powers the LNB so it knows if there is a problem change, I could fit a time clock so it only switches on when there is a program I want to watch, but I know I will not do that, so why bother measuring?

get clamp-on energy meters, ask friends for the meters they no longer use.
Indeed. One could use separate clamp-on meters for each phase. However, one can get 3-phase ones (with three 'clamps'). As I write, mine is currently showing ...

1661259880095.png

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back