3 port valve faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system has no CH but HW is ok. Have shorted red and yellow at programmable battery operated stat still no power to orange on wiring centre. Have butchered a synchron motor from a Drayton onto the Honeywell . If I press the microswitch in the valve then the motor does energise and pushes onto other switch and boiler calls for heat.

Have moved the valve to manual and locked into position and now have heating.

Is this a 3way valve or programmer issue?

The valve is v4703 A1039 new head is part number 40003916-003 according to the label on the inside.

Thanks for help

PS spindle seems to rotate ok by finger pressure :D

Sponsored Links
The micro switch is wired correctly, is has a permanent (switched) live supply and is activated by the motor when it reaches the end of its travel, so now all you need is the synchron motor to have power from the roomsat which gets it power from the timer.

Check the circuit wiring functional flow->

*Timer CH switch output (load) ->to roomstat->to synchron->to neutral*

When I switched the timer on and off for CH this gave me voltage, also got voltage at the roomstat and back to the wiring centre however the motor was not activating until i pressed the microswitch, obviously with the MS pressed the motor moved and then this activated the 2nd microswitch which fired the boiler.

Assume when I put the synchron motor on from a drayton it doesnt matter what way round the wires are as it is an AC motor?

The roomstat has a timer on it so in theroy if a programmer issue it could be fudged to be always on (this is how it is normally set).

When the room stat is on demand it will put power to the *white* wire on the 3 port valve.

(i'm going to bed now)

Sponsored Links
It's "Y" plan right? A mid-position valve.

So to get space heating you need a live on both the wire from the room stat (traditionally the white wire) and also from the "hot water off" on the programmer or the "satisfied" terminal on hte tank stat (traditionally grey wire).

When both of these are at 230v then you should get 230v on the orange wire that fire the boiler and pump.

If you only have 230v on the white wire (from the room stat) then the valve should be in the mid position and you won't get full heating (although the boiler and pump should be running).

Laurie

Yes Yplan.

Not in front of it at the moment so cannot confirm when or where power is but can give you the following from memory.

Cylinder Stat is clicking off and on and calling for heat no issues.

Roomstat wires red and yellow have been twisted together at the stat end and still no call. Timer is set to CH constant as the roomstat is a "timed one". 240v present on wire in junction box and can be 0v if timer on CH set to off. When set to on and the microswitch that controls the valve is pressed with a screwdriver the valve moves mechanically and then the actuator presses the call for heat and boiler fires. It is almost like the motor is stalled at mid position and only will go right over with a manual press of microswitch. Is this a better description?

Thanks

Change MV head (got a corgi brand one from toolstation). Before changing tested wiring and all was fine but MV not working unless microswitches pressed. New one installed and back up and working so guess the diode was parking the MV or something along them lines?

So not a wiring issue just something broken down in the MV

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back