Old design honeywell 2 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have a problem with my honeywell 2 port valve. It needs to open in order for hot water to enter the hot water tank.

The valve itself seems to be OK, so I'm hoping I might be able to replace just the head with the motor and microswitch.

However after viewing so YouTube videos it seems to be an old design.

Looking at the way the screws holding the head onto the valve go through the plate, I'm worried that undoing them will unleash a cascade of water.

Also having taken the motor off, when I manually rotate the valve, the brass bit doesn't come close to touching the microswitch... How is this meant to work? It was working yesterday, and I can't see any broken bits floating around? (see pic with motor removed).

See pics attached. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200425_145938.jpg
    20200425_145938.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 413
  • 20200425_152607.jpg
    20200425_152607.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 370
  • 20200425_145918.jpg
    20200425_145918.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Removing the head/ the actuator should not release any water. It looks as if you need to release 4 screws, then it should just lift off, as is normal for these valves. Spindle seems to be a D shape, again as is normal, allowing it to lift off. The D should be almost turnable with just your bare fingers.

The mechanism looks very lacking in lubrication, it might be worth adding some light oil to the moving parts, but avoid the electrical parts.

If you remove the 4 screws Water will gush out. It is not a removable head type. Just replace the motor

If you remove the 4 screws Water will gush out. It is not a removable head type. Just replace the motor
Phew I'm glad I know for sure now.

But with this being an old design, will I be able buy a replacement motor that fits correctly?

Also when you manually open the valve, it this meant to also operate the microswitch? Or is that only able to be operated when the motor rotates the mechanism?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Actually thinking about it, if the whole thing is 35+ years old, instead of messing around with conversation kits, wouldn't it just make more sense to replace the whole thing. If the system needs to be drained down anyway, I might as well.. Right?

Depends on how easy it is to remove old valve, I have had them tucked behind cylinders and under floors where the conversion kit was a lot easier to use than trying to remove a complete valve body.

Depends on how easy it is to remove old valve, I have had them tucked behind cylinders and under floors where the conversion kit was a lot easier to use than trying to remove a complete valve body.
Ah right of course. Luckily mine is right at the front with lots of space around it so hopefully should be straight forward. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20200425_162619.jpg
    20200425_162619.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 262
I would use the conversion kit on that as its not a standard valve, its got threaded connections so you would need to cut the pipework and replace a length of pipe or special order the same type of valve.

I would use the conversion kit on that as its not a standard valve, its got threaded connections so you would need to cut the pipework and replace a length of pipe or special order the same type of valve.
Thanks for the advice... Nothing is ever simple is it.

Just in case anyone finds this thread in the future, I took a closer look at the synchron motor on top of the valve and realised it was exactly the same as the motors you can buy off the shelf.

I picked up a new "drayton" one from screwfix for £20 and I now have a working valve! The motor is identical to the old one as far as can tell. Both say "SYNCHRON - Made in USA" on the top.

Attachments

• 20200426_160100.jpg
    20200426_160100.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 298

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back