3 port valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can someone please help! I've replaced a new 3 port valve and then refilled the system and tried the hot water but it's cold. I gave it a good hour to heat.  The pump is making a strange ticking noise(it didn't do this before). The switch on the side of the valve is set to auto is this right? I didn't want to try the heating until I could get hot water. It's wired correctly and fitted the right way around. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the pipes hot bothsides of the pump ? the pump may need bleeding.
the lever is ok on auto.

Forgot to mention. I noticed that I have an earth wire in the new valve but no earth wire in other connection. Would this effect it?

Sponsored Links
It won't stop the flow through the valve even if you had no wires connected cause a 3 port has the hw port open in its relaxed position.

what do you mean not in the other connection ?

turn system off then hold a rag under the pump and remove the large screw in the middle, water will drip out letting air out of the pump.
then replace and try.
and did you push the lever over to man so it locks in when refilling system.

There's a male and female connector type block. So I opened up the Other connector to make sure blue was going to blue,white to White etc that's when I noticed theres no earth.

The pump has a black cover on it which underneath has a nut. There's nothing I can fit a flat blade screwdriver into. Do I undo the nut to bleed? Tried this and no air/water came out it just felt like I could psyically turn the pump inside. Switched it on and it seemed to work silently for a bit then noisy again. Boiler fired up the stopped after 5 mins. Any ideas?

sounds like a myson pump, same ideal remove the centre nut as you did.
the system is still airlocked turn the pump up to speed 3 put heating/hw on.
you may need to bleed the pump a few times but it will clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back