3 way diverter value "chugging"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we've renovated our bathroom and have had installed the below (or very similar) 3 way diverter value from Crosswater. One lever controls the overhead shower, the middle one the temp and the last one pivots both ways, one for the bath filler and one for the shower wand.

Unfortunately after about 2 minutes of operation, particularly of the bath filler, the flow drops away completely and the valve starts producing a horrible chugging or wheezing noise. Even before the main issue the flow is pretty minimal and would take some time to fill the bath.

http://www.rsfbathrooms.co.uk/onlin...DE3000RC.htm?gclid=CLfM34GY1McCFVdAGwodiKsD0g

Interestingly this appears to only be a problem on the hot water. Shifting the temp lever to cold water immediately the noise stops and the flow pours out satisfactorily fast. Obviously this isn't useful though, since its stone cold.

Additionally, the overhead shower doesn't fully suffer the problem although I did notice the flow as a little bit "stop-start" in that every few seconds I could see a disruption to the falling water for an instant. I took the shower head off so just the bare pipe was open and immediately the chugging and minimal flow issues occurred again, I assume because the bare pipe could allow more water out than the shower head.

The bathroom is located on the 1st floor of a 3 story house. The kitchen (ground floor) and 2nd floor bathroom (ie above this one, with shower and basin) don't suffer these problems. The kitchen sink fills a 1.5 ltr jug of too-hot-to-comfortably-touch water in 8 seconds from completely off while the basin in the same bathroom as the problem diverter value does the same in 10 seconds.

At the moment I've been trying to use the overhead shower to fill the bath, although this takes so long I end up lunging up buckets of hot water from the kitchen so my heavily pregnant wife can have a bath and convince our overdue child to come out (different plumbing problem!). After she is out I'm actually going to time filling the bath with the cold water. Will update with the results.

Any help would be appreciated as the original plumber went on holiday and although we have hear he is back he seems to be ignoring our messages!

Sponsored Links
What type of plumbing system do you have ? combi, unvented , tanks in loft, shower pumped yes or no ect.

What type of plumbing system do you have ? combi, unvented , tanks in loft, shower pumped yes or no ect.

Sorry, the whole system is on a combi boiler, nothing special like shower pumps other anything.

Sponsored Links
First check would be the check valves, these can stick, cant think what else it could be if your on a combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back