3 wires and 2 swtches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fix a Home cinema projector :) but before I steam in, I'd like to run this by other more knowledgable folk.

Background
There are 2 covers that come off to access the bulb and the air filter.
Each cover, when in place/closed, depresses a microswitch.

If the covers are open the unit will not operate and an LED indicates that the covers are open.

Problem

one of the 2 switches (both are on the same tiny PCB) is broken, through repeated careless removal of the flap, so now the unit thinks a cover is off when it isn't and will not operate.

Proposed solution
I can't get hold of a replacement switch board (about 15mm x 40mm)
SO I'm thinking bypass it completey...
It is connected to the unit by a jumper lead with 3 wires. I asume one carries a voltage to the switches, which when pressed, complete circuits to the other 2 wires (one for each switch/cover) which goes back and reports that the covers are in place and alows operation.

IF i simply strip the 3 and twist them together - it should do the trick yes :?:

Sponsored Links
Sony authorised repair people said its fine - infact he reccomended i do it as the replacement part is £700 :eek: which he said himself is crazy for what it is - 2 microswitches on tiny pcb.
He did offer an alternative though - he offered to repair the thing by fitting a new microswich to the board for £15 but I decided a permanent £0 solution is better £15 for another switch that will surely fail in time, like the original.
Maybe this will help some googler in the same/similar boat.

Jobs a goodun :D snipped of the connector, stripped the wires with a lighter and my thumb and forefinger, then twisted the lot together and wraped in insulting tape - FIXED :D Junglebook Platinum edition just starting :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back