3 wires in a dimmer switch

I should place the single wire (that is currently in Variable) in the Common terminal and the two remaining wires (that are currently in L2) in the L1 terminal of the new single switch?
Yes.

With the two-way switch being used as only a one-way it doesn't actually matter which way round.

Apologies again for confusing you.

Sponsored Links
This image just gave me instant flashbacks to my childhood in the 80s as we had them in the house I grew up in. Haven't seen one of these dimmers in probably 35 years and forgot they existed.

Thanks

1659970327151.png

Hi - hope you can all help me. I have the same switch as the OP and the secondary poster above!

I have one wire in L1, one wire in L2, and one in variable load. I want to swap out for a new socket with com, 1way, 2way and loop.

I *think* from reading above the ‘variable load’ would go in ‘com, and the l1 and l2 would go in 1way and 2way - but just wanted to check before doing it wrong and tripping my breakers!

I should note - this feeds a single light fitting, but there is a secondary single switch.

TIA for any advice

Thanks

Matt

IMG_9417.jpeg

IMG_9418.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The brown in COM. L1 and L2 go to 1 way and 2 way respectively. Nothing in the loop connection.

That is on a 2-way circuit (ie there's another switch that also can operate the light.)
If my suggestioin doesnt work we'll need a photo of the wiring at the other switch.

Funny, I (the OP, and feeling as though soon to be OAP but actually only mid 50s) don't remember what I did with that dimmer switch, though I feel I did just disable it rather than replacing with an ordinary switch. I got an email notification of activity on this thread. I know I replaced a dimmer with an ordinary switch here in the third home that I've owned. We were 7 years at my second owned home and now 7 years here.

@peterinscotland that’s the problem with hijacking someone’s original thread. The hijacker runs the risk of restricting the replies they get and/or disturbing someone in the middle of their hibernation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back