30 tonnes soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having finally got somebody to give us some ideas on replacing our wall and the alternatives, we are going have the garden redesigned so that is slopes towards the garage with a sleeper system or gabions as support.

However, this involves us finding a home for 30 tonnes (approx from builder) of soil which he thinks will mainly be subsoil.

I really can't envisage what 30 tonnes of soil would look like and would be grateful for any advice on the options we might have to get rid of it without it costing a fortune.

I did think we might try the Great Escape method of shovelling it down our trousers and then sifting it out as we walk around the village, but its a bit wet and cold for that approach to be in anyway attractive.

Thanks

Sunny

Sponsored Links
I think that hiring grab lorries works out cheaper than skips as long as they get a full load (and of course access). Not sure what capacities they can carry but I think you might need 2 or 3 to shift that lot.

Good luck :)

6-7 tonnes in a skip (any more and skip lorry wont be able to carry it legally!), 8 wheeler grab lorry should take about 20ish tonnes in one go.

as above mate - they'll recycle that - 2 lorries max - shop around for the best price though, they can vary wildly.

In Bristol they can vary by up to £60 per load if you don't buy regularly. If you catch someone on a quiet day, you'll get a better price.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone in your neighbourhood want to do some landscaping and create a Teletubbies hill?

It is about 2 Grab lorries full. I think the 8 wheelers are 18 tonnes.

One option may be Gumtree...free if collected. You may get rid of a few tonnes like this but I would doubt all of it.

I think a grab loader in Reading is about £200 a time, depending on if the waste is recyclable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back