Preparing garden for soil and levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

At the end of last year I finally got round to clearing a 'no man's land' fly tip at the end of our garden (we had found out the land belonged to us...previous owner was an old gentleman long since given up gardening et al). Must've been 10-15 years of rubbish dumped there, fenced off and in a pretty dire state. Fortunately my good neighbour chipped in and between us (and over several weekends/odd evenings and myriad trips to the local tip via his trailer) we managed to clear it all. I've let it sit over the winter and over the next week or two I'll re-rake for glass/metal objects etc (we shifted beds/bikes/car parts - the works from there!).
Having almost completed the refencing this so the garden is a whole again, I wish to add grass to this section (grass is actually sprouting but over a decades without light has left life here a little hard to find).
Unfortunately the rest of the garden is a little patchy and 'hilly'...not in the least bit flat. It see's rather a lot of traffic due to the fact my partner is a childminder and we have two children of our own.
So....I'm thinking of ordering some top soil and then seeding it over the next few weeks...not sure if this is my best option and if it is how much soil I would require. Approx dimensions are 17m x 25m (give or take a metre or two). I've found an online soil distributer and was guessing at a few tons...but if anyone here can suggest anything which may help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back