Retaining Wall Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just started what is for me a major project to level out my garden then I plan to lay sandstone flags and artificial grass. I'm still at the levelling phase but would like some advice on the best cause of action given the below scenario please.

I have started levelling the top of my garden as that is mostly soil and wont involve digging up the builders patchy MOT Dolomite. The garden levels are all over the place in the estate (built on a hill). I have lowered my side to the desired height but this means my nextdoor neighbours garden is a foot to a foot and a half higher.

To make matters more pressing no sooner had I started digging then my neighbour said "oh we have someone (professionals) coming round next week" to do what I'm planning to their garden. My fear is what I have done so far will interfere with or delay their work.

My question is: What would be the best solution to retain their garden so the subbase for their flags and artificial grass wound spill into my garden. I would like something permanent if possible. Wooden sleepers wont last and would be a pain in the backside to replace down the line. Brick while permanent is very expensive nowadays.

I was thinking of plastic sleepers which would outlive me. Would that be a feasible solution to sit them on a concrete bed and pin them? How would you deal with this?

Is there a quick/cheap/temporary solution as their workmen are coming next week?

I have supplied pictures for reference. The left hand side will be artificial turf for my neighbour and the right will be indian sandstone.

Attachments

• 20200712_090258.jpg
    20200712_090258.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 20200712_090325.jpg
    20200712_090325.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 20200712_090337.jpg
    20200712_090337.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 20200712_090410.jpg
    20200712_090410.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 20200712_090357.jpg
    20200712_090357.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wooden sleepers would last donkey years , if they didn't last why would they use them on railways?

I would of used wooden sleepers to build a wall set in a foot or so from the fence so I could have a bed for flowers around the perimeter , then levelled , flags for patio and artificial grass for the rest

Did you bother to make a plan or did you just crack on ? You must of known you were gonna be left with your garden lower than your neighbours and therefore it was your responsibility to support your neighbours garden

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, the wooden sleepers you are talking about are railway sleepers and are quite nasty things due to the chemicals they use to treat them. I was referring to garden sleepers, apologies for not being more specific. I dont really want to build up the area to make planters as I plan on putting 2 x 7' x 3.5' sheds along there. Regarding your question on did I think about the job, yes I did I knew there would need to be some sort of retainment there I just didn't really know how much until I had dug it up. Im fully aware its my responsibility to resolve the issue hence why I'm here looking for solutions.

Its also worth pointing out that the top of the stakes is where the intended stone will sit flush.

Thanks again,
Chris.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just started what is for me a major project to level out my garden then I plan to lay sandstone flags and artificial grass. I'm still at the levelling phase but would like some advice on the best cause of action given the below scenario please.

I have started levelling the top of my garden as that is mostly soil and wont involve digging up the builders patchy MOT Dolomite. The garden levels are all over the place in the estate (built on a hill). I have lowered my side to the desired height but this means my nextdoor neighbours garden is a foot to a foot and a half higher.

To make matters more pressing no sooner had I started digging then my neighbour said "oh we have someone (professionals) coming round next week" to do what I'm planning to their garden. My fear is what I have done so far will interfere with or delay their work.

My question is: What would be the best solution to retain their garden so the subbase for their flags and artificial grass wound spill into my garden. I would like something permanent if possible. Wooden sleepers wont last and would be a pain in the backside to replace down the line. Brick while permanent is very expensive nowadays.

I was thinking of plastic sleepers which would outlive me. Would that be a feasible solution to sit them on a concrete bed and pin them? How would you deal with this?

Is there a quick/cheap/temporary solution as their workmen are coming next week?

I have supplied pictures for reference. The left hand side will be artificial turf for my neighbour and the right will be indian sandstone.

Surely if they are having done what you are actually doing, then were is the problem in retaining their garden? Surely it will be the same level as yours when it's finished?
You can also buy 'modern' railway sleepers which have not been treated with creosote and thick oil to protect them. I saw a website a few weeks ago when this Corona virus kicked off which sells old railway sleepers and they also have some which were not traditionally preserved. Worth having a look for someone local to you.

Sponsored Links
If it just a foot and a half, get some concrete fence posts 3.5 to 4 ft cement in 2ft in ground and make up wall by slotting in concrete gravel boards. That will last. Maybe drill some drainage holes. These boards are only a tenner for 30cm ones and easy enough to replace if they are damaged

Surely if they are having done what you are actually doing, then were is the problem in retaining their garden? Surely it will be the same level as yours when it's finished?
You can also buy 'modern' railway sleepers which have not been treated with creosote and thick oil to protect them. I saw a website a few weeks ago when this Corona virus kicked off which sells old railway sleepers and they also have some which were not traditionally preserved. Worth having a look for someone local to you.

Hi, they are having the same work done but as you can see from my stakes, my side will between a foot and afoit and a half lower.

After some more though, im going to put down some concrete beds between posts and use treated sleepers with rebar through. Its going to be most economical vs longevity. I can get easy access to replace the sleepers down the line after I lay the stone.

After some more though, im going to put down some concrete beds between posts and use treated sleepers with rebar through. Its going to be most economical vs longevity. I can get easy access to replace the sleepers down the line after I lay the stone.

Don't know how old you are Chris, but if the sleepers have been treated correctly, they may well out do you. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back