30s external lime rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 30s property, with lots of blown external render and some new holes I've made (moving soil stack, new boiler, blocked up windows and doors etc).

I'd very much like to pay a pro to do it, but sadly like everything on this bloody renovation I've no money left to do that, so again it's have a go myself.

I have gotten better with a trowel, and I'm not too bad at most things, but I'm not expecting the best finish and I won't have a go at the full side elevations unless this goes miraculously well. Plus it'll be a ball ache doing it from just a tower without proper scaffold.

I have a small lean to to knock off, repoint and have a go at first.

I've been googling around all evening and read this forum, my dads mate rendered my front bay when I rebuilt it and I think he used a 4-1-1 mix sharp sand cement and lime. I'm sure it was just from a builders merchants so probably hydrated lime?

So fill any big holes, scratch coat max of 1/2 inch, 4:1:1 mix (maybe 5:1:1 actually), get everything wet to start, thin coats of render building up, float it a few times, sponge float, hope I don't make too much of a mess, sound about right please? I might screw some batten to the wall and work in between, then take it off and fill the holes, to give myself a chance with an even thickness ... ?

I'd ask him over to show me again but I don't want to take the **** so thought I'd have a go first.

Come on better weather and the nights opening up! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back