To lime or not to lime, that is....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just a small pointer if anyone out there could oblige please... About to render externally onto dense, concrete blocks and have conflicting advice about the mix to use. I'm anticipating using a 5:1:1 (washed sharp:cement:hydrated lime [+waterproofer]) for my scratch coat and a 6:1:1 for my top coat. Not having rendered before and hunting around this and other sites, I don't see too many people suggesting the use of lime anymore. I wonder what you fellas (and ladies?) might advise?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks noseall, just wanted confirmation really and a little reassurance. Will take a shoofty at the fella you mentioned. Thanks again.

milou22 said:
Hello all,

Just a small pointer if anyone out there could oblige please... About to render externally onto dense, concrete blocks and have conflicting advice about the mix to use. I'm anticipating using a 5:1:1 (washed sharp:cement:hydrated lime [+waterproofer]) for my scratch coat and a 6:1:1 for my top coat. Not having rendered before and hunting around this and other sites, I don't see too many people suggesting the use of lime anymore. I wonder what you fellas (and ladies?) might advise?
Many thanks.
i would go for a 4;1;1 and it is fine sharp sand
you use not sharp sand

Sponsored Links
andyrich7496 said:
milou22 said:
Hello all,

Many thanks.
i would go for a 4;1;1 and it is fine sharp sand
you use not sharp sand
p s i would go for the same mix for both coats

Thanks Andyrich. Yes, it is fine, sharp I'm using...didn't mention that did I! As for the stronger mix, I'm tempted but have had conflicting advice so will perhaps find a happy medium.
Thanks again.

milou22 said:
Thanks Andyrich. Yes, it is fine, sharp I'm using...didn't mention that did I! As for the stronger mix, I'm tempted but have had conflicting advice so will perhaps find a happy medium.
Thanks again.
it is not that strouge a mix and you dont want
your mix to sandy or you may have touble floating it up and you have lime init as well

I don't want to tread on anyone's toe's over this but I was always taught that a sharp sand with lots of angular stuff in it is much stronger than a sand without.If you get some sand,put it in a jar of water,shake it up and leave to stand for 24 hours.When you next look at the jar,if it's a good sand it should have 4 to 5 different layers of sand,bigger bits at the bottom.

Do not use lime with waterproofer. We've had this debate in the past and I'm still waiting for anyone to give me a w/p manufacturer that will allow you to add lime to their product.

I can give you manufacturers that say you must not add lime to their w/p . Which ones? Any one I've ever used ! Their phone number is on the container, just ring tech and they will tell you.

If you need w/p , put it in the scratch coat without lime. A decent product will give you the workability.

Then use lime in the top coat , as it will give you a better texture,workability , rub up nicer and make the render less prone to cracking.

Always work from stronger coat to weaker coat ( stronger on first) .

On to dense blocks

4:1 (sand and cement ) with W/P for scratch coat

5:1:! (sand cement lime) for finish coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back