Couple of rendering questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Some advice please.

This is my first big render job, a semi detached property and I’m on my own on this one. Spent the last two days solid hacking off the old render and bagging up... it has been relentless It’s gonna be a sand cement and hydrated lime mix on the walls.

1) The Scratch coat I’m gonna do is 4 sand 1 cement 1 lime with waterproofer and top coat 5 sand 1 cement 1 lime with waterproofer Is that right ??. I read many variations on this.

2) some parts are fairly new render on thermalite so not hacking off as I’ll end up building new porch !. What is the stuff you roll or paint on and leave 24 hours for a good key for this please.

Lastly 3) as it’s warm it ain’t ideal but the job has to be done. I was gonna wet the walls and then put scratch coat on... wet again before leaving then wet again before putting top coat on.
Would this be ok or any other suggestions please.

I’ll put some pics up tomorrow.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
i would not put waterproofer and lime in the same mix 4 /1 scratch coat with 5/1 top coat with 1 lime also it will end up in tears if you put it on and its too hot just because it has to be done

Steve:
So scratch coat would be 4 to 1 with waterproofer, and top coat would be 5/1/1 lime and no waterproofer ?.

Tomorrow looking like about 17 degrees and sunny.. would you put on ?.
Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
Morning...
It’s a south facing garden so I’ll start scratch coating the front. I gotta do a big clear up today and set beads so I won’t be laying on I doubt. The gable end will get sun most of the day and the back from midday. Typical ... when you want the sun it is nowhere to be seen and now I just want it overcast ... think I may start later and work into the evening if that is an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back