32 second oil ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But first off let me say hello as it's my first post.
Me?
Keen diyer who's built 70% of his last house and keen for more.

right.
Got a Myson Mectron 2m oil heater

question is can we change it to run on the heavier 32 second oil ?

Cant find out any info as they've changed dealers and my boiler man is unsure as he's never done it before

hello and thanks

Sponsored Links
Myson is the boiler make, what is the model ?, mectron is the burner !.
28 and 35 are the normal grades of fuel, you can only burn 35 at high level (flue) and in a non condensing boiler.
Look for a new "boiler man" as this is basic stuff that anyone competent should know.

Why do you want to burn gas oil?

Unless you are getting it by dubious means it will be more trouble than its worth>

Hiya.
Just quoted the burner as thats the issue i'm told.
No No and no to the dubious bit !!!!
I,ve been offered 550L of heavy oil at 25p a lt and as i was quoted between 49 and 51p a lt i thought it was worth looking into.

Sponsored Links
And i'd also like to say it's not from the local theiving pikies either. It's from a local plant hire company that have a tank on hire and wish to off hire it but the company wont take it back with any in..

Blimey, first post and i've made myself look like a gypsie :oops:

quick answer to the question
NO
you cant just change fuels with out recalculating the nozzle size and recommisioning the combustion. as said you cant use it in a condensing boiler.

gas oil has a far higher calorific value to kerosine. and its a dirtier oil.

what will happen if you just go ahead and try to run gas oil is, if it actually starts then it very quickly soot up.

and when the gas oil has gone, what then?
you will have to reset everything for kerosine, and clean the soot out.

With that quantity of oil, sort out someone to make the adjustments needed, get the oil in and get them to reset the burner, when you next refill, go through the exercise again.

This supposes you DON'T have a low level flue, and it's NOT a condenser.

With that quantity of oil, sort out someone to make the adjustments needed, get the oil in and get them to reset the burner, when you next refill, go through the exercise again.

This supposes you DON'T have a low level flue, and it's NOT a condenser.

No we dont and no it's not.

Thanks for that, Some suggested we'd need an in line heater but for the amount we had and then going back to regular oil it' was to the point of not saving us any. That and we can't mix them so we'd have run one lot right out / fill up and repeat and er indoors doesn't like cleaning :)

cheers

The Mectron burner is made by Riello, they are a huge manufacturer and sell world wide. Most countries use oil heavier than 28s and the burners work fine. It's a matter of adjustment, and there some niceties like an inline heater, but if it's adjusted properly it'll work.

Though why not strain it through cat litter and sell it to a mug? :evil:

Though why not strain it through cat litter and sell it to a mug?

Filtering Red Diesel through fullers earth? Do you have a big caravan and a tarmac business, Oilman :LOL: ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back