oil central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Hope someone can help. My mum is in an ex council house, a quarter house and her upstairs neighbour has decided he wants to remove his Parkray fire and install oil central heating . He intends the combi boiler to be installed in his kitchen against the outside wall. First question I need to ask is it possible to put oil central heating into an upstairs flat? Second question is how intrusive would the outside pipe work be because he is assuming that mum will give him permission to dig up her patio and run the oil pipe up the side of her house. The pipe would have to be placed right next to her back door and she isn't keen. It's only a year since his washing machine leaked and flooded her living room and kitchen quite badly and she is nervous about any disruption that might happen during the installation. He intends to keep his old radiators and run the pipework along the top of the skirting boards to keep the cost down but surely he needs to have radiators that have thermostats on? I am really quite nervous on my mums behalf. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
hi, oil is pretty safe, the pipework is only around 12mm wide and usually white id be more concerned with where the flue outlet will be (flue gas can smell) and where the oil tank is going to be and how high it would have to be for the correct head of pressure to lift the oil to an upstairs flat.( im assuming that as a ground floor owner you own the garden area?) he would need permission to install it in your garden, and it would need regular access for filling and if it leaks im pretty sure if its on your property you would be responsible for it. in this case it may be worth speaking to your home insurance company.

Oil can be installed upstairs but as the boilers weigh in the region of 100-150kg getting them up there can be a challenge, and the floor or wall it's going on needs to be pretty strong to cope with the weight.

Have you established where he's intending to put the oil tank?

Thank you. He has his own patch of garden but he thinks it can go where his coal bunker was situated but this is against a neighbours fence. The vent is going to be above mums back door so she will have that to contend with too. I'm hoping he gets a shock at what it will cost and changes his mind.

Sponsored Links
The tank has to be At least 760 mm from the fence. And the flue has to be At least 1 meter from any door or window.

No mains gas so it would have to be a calor tank. There is a stream at the bottom of the gardens and he has no access from that direction and I don't think he is allowed to site a tank in his front garden which is beside the side road. He is in his eighties and he is struggling to deal with solid fuel. He can afford oil, I think he will get a shock at what it will cost as he thinks he is going to get mates rates from a lad that used to live here but has in own business. I think we will wait and see what the estimate is. My mum is dreading the upheaval because my father is bedridden and has some really complex health issues so any noise would be an intrusion at present. It's not just a case of her being awkward. Thanks for your reply.

A very difficult scenario, that one......maybe its possible to have a propane tank buried in the garden? Only the installers would be able to advise there I guess.
I can see you don't want to be awkward but you also don't want the upheaval, never mind the noise and smell that's typically generated when compared with gas systems, never mind the tank location. Even 47kg gas bottles come somewhere close to what's needed, but they are expensive and four would normally be needed with an automatic changeover.
We can only wish you luck with this one, and we'd be pleased to hear of the outcome in due course.
John :)

If ever there was a justification for electric heating....I would suggest electric panel heaters. Cost next to nothing to install, no maintenance and very controllable.

Hi all. It's been a while but the outcome is it's going to be electric panel heaters. After 2 plumbers refused the job because of the complications I think the light dawned.

The flue needs to be 1500mm from any opening in a building also the oil tank will have to be bunded eg double skin and the tank needsto be away from a fence and controlled water

From an OFTEC manual which gives 1000mm for ordinary boiler and 1500for condensing
now they my have changed it but 1500 would be better IMHO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back