Repairing leak in central heating system

your the only one there to judge the situation but its worth the try but how far ? but wish you luck anyway(y)

Sponsored Links
Ask your mum first. It's her quality of life you could be about to ruin. Take it from me. I wanted to sort out my mother's next door neighbour for getting me a parking ticket but the rest of the family forbade it....

The plasterer hasn't been out yet, but I took the plunge to remove some of the wall paper to see how bad it was - Jesus, lumps of plaster were falling on me, the black mould was disgusting and the plaster is all blown. Mother is devastated, I'm furious and the neighbour is living in cloud cuckoo land.

It suddenly dawned on me though - the deadening between the neighbour's floor and mother's ceiling is like ash or something - they're very old houses - and that was soaking because it had obviously absorbed all the water from this year long leak - now I'm wondering if the problem will continue because there's all this wet mush still there.

Oh, and apparently there wouldn't have been that much water come down - it would have just been a wee bit of residual water that was in the pipe. Don't you just love the excuses.

I think at least part of that ceiling has to come down, Alison.....you don't want any trapped wet crap in there.
Do we know who is standing the costs yet?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Oh the guy from Dynorod came out, looked, said that it was just a bit of wrinkled wallpaper and 50 quid would cover the cost of fixing it and that somebody would be in touch. That's an insult - don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for them to send a pile of money - I want them to arrange somebody to come and fix it. Neighbour has been given a letter requesting her insurance details - I don't care who fixes it but somebody better. Was madly taking photos today.

IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0569.JPG

are you sure she has got insurance ????? if she had she might have given it already

My mum didn't think she had insurance because last year or so she said she didn't have any, but her brother bought the house for her and she says that he has the insurance documents but he's in Croatia just now (who the hell goes to Croatia??). It was very convenient that he left the day it all kicked off.................

He normally just gives her money for anything she wants doing - if he wants to just pay for repairs, I'm fine with that. I just want it fixed.

If the Council fix the structural building damage, the rest won't be too major surely ? I can see you getting too stressed over this.

I guess I'm just being nosey here, but you said mum is a council tenant yet her brother bought the house for her?
For sure there's a hell of a lot more than 50 quids worth there!
Anyway, just wondering which way this could go. Neighbour above reports leak, but none can be found until much later.....is it her to blame, or the heating company for not finding the leak?
Engineer shows up to do his work and that triggers this episode -and he doesn't feel he's responsible. Difficult!
As the story unfolds, I think mum should claim on her insurance now - but you say she doesn't have any?
Not trying to give any judgement here, just trying to see the possible outcome.

Sorry - totally confused you there. My mum is the council tenant - it's her neighbour that owns and her brother bought it for her. My mum has contents insurance but the jury's out on whether the neighbour has insurance or not.

Mother told neighbour she had a leak - according to Scottish Gas, neighbour only reported a drop in pressure in her boiler - she never mentioned that my mum had told her the water was coming through the ceiling.

Yeah - if they ever turn up. It's just the decor. I've just done every room in the house apart from the bathroom and I'm gutted that I had to haul that wall to bits. I suppose I'm being bloody minded - with a why should I have to redo it when it's not our fault attitude. I'm fed up decorating - I'd like somebody to come and do that bit instead of me doing it again.

Thanks for sharing this with us......now we're more aware of the complete picture, all I can say if I was in your situation I'd claim off your mums insurance for the redecorating and be done with it. If any loss adjuster wishes to claim from another party (they won't) then that's up to them.
Obviously upstairs will squeal not guilty, likewise the gas engineer that (probably) contributed to the leak so I'd bite the bullet and claim. None of this has been anything to do with you, other parties claim its 'an act of god' so its time to move it on.
Like you, decorating isn't my favourite pastime......I'm usually forced to do it once - I'd never do it twice!

Yes. Put in a claim, let someone else do the work , enjoy the time you won't spend decorating and your mum won't be at risk of being harassed by a nasty neighbour.

Yes. Put in a claim, let someone else do the work , enjoy the time you won't spend decorating and your mum won't be at risk of being harassed by a nasty neighbour.
+1 , i have lived in a flat before and you just can't get away from your neighbour , e.g sharing garden - sharing same front path - collecting post when not in - noises through ceiling ( complaining ) and could go on , better for a peaceful life for a low amount of cash . the council would sort all main structural items which only leaves decor, i agree i hate decorating with a passion but the council in some cases will give it a coat of white as well . i understand your frustration and not trying to put down the hassle it has caused but imagine the hassle your mum might have to deal with when your neighbour is a can short of a six pack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back