Gas leak or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but...

My mum had someone in to remove the remains of the gas line which ran to her old gas fire. The company she phoned (Gas Engineer from Yellow Pages) did the job, but also found a leak in her central heating. The way she's described it he used what I'm guessing was a manometer, a glass tube like a thermometer with a tan rubber tube coming out of it.

To do the test he went to the cupboard with the boiler in it, spent a short time in there (no more than a minute) then turned around, walked into the middle of the kitchen (only a metre or so) and showed the falling reading which he said meant a leak at the on/off switch. At the time he was showing the dropping reading the gizmo was not connected to anything.

Now I'm happy to admit that I know nothing about gas central heating, but shouldn't the tester be attached to the system for the duration of the test? Wouldn't the gauge drop once disconnected from the system anyway? Is he trying to swindle my mum out of £130 to replace the on/off switch (his diagnosis) or have I misunderstood the testing procedure? If she has a gas leak we obviously want to deal with it.

I don't have any details on the system/boiler, but it is pretty old (installed 1989) and has a water tank high up in the cupboard. You can get hot water OR hot water plus radiators but not radiators only.

Any info gratefully received, thanks.

Sponsored Links
you can get a free test for potential gas leaks by phoning National Grid (was Transco) or (if you live in Scotland or parts of Southern England) Scotia Gas /SGN who bought some of their pipes and staff, and saying you think you may have a leak. there will be a freephone number on the gas bill. They will do a more thorough test than the person you describe.

Some people say that if they identify a fault they just turn it off and tell you to get a gas fitter to mend it, but I once had them do a minor repair free. I have had them out a few times, they are usualy fairly quick in coming round, as they are resourced to investigate potential emergencies and prevent accidents. They also seemed helpful and conscientious.

edited: see here
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/#smellgas

"If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, you can call 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night. Your call will not cost you anything*."

Thanks JohnD. I'll get my mum to give them a call.

Do you think he's plausible? He'd arranged to do the repair on Tuesday, but I'm thinking she should wait and get it checked out first. He confirmed that she could carry on using the system in the meantime.

Some people say that if they identify a fault they just turn it off and tell you to get a gas fitter to mend it, but I once had them do a minor repair free.

Transco!!!! Did a job job for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're telling me they didn't just turn off the ECV?

I have passed out and shall be not of this world for some time.

Sponsored Links
in answer to your question i would say theres mor ethan doubt about it.

the manometer should be attatched to the gas meter to check for gas leaks any gas in the tube would drop whilst taking it off and by placing thumb over top and lifting slightly would allow any remaining to be released slowly.

secondly isnt the on off switch electric :rolleyes:

do as other poster says ring them and say what has happened, not sure if they will charge for doing test if their is no leak, but atleast you will know whether their is.
did he say how much it was leaking ie 1/2/3/4 milibars and so on and is their a smell of gas.
mine was free by transco also just to let you know

blas do you blow into gauge and hold thumb over to then :D

they don't charge, even if there is no leak. Better safe than sorry, they don't want to discourage people reporting suspected leaks.

I have heard the most common call-out is for "gas" smells round a cooker caused by spilt or splashed food residues.

p.s. no need to say you've already had a gas person in. Just say that you think there may be a leak.

Thanks JohnD. I'll get my mum to give them a call.

Do you think he's plausible? He'd arranged to do the repair on Tuesday, but I'm thinking she should wait and get it checked out first. He confirmed that she could carry on using the system in the meantime.

Sorry Mrs Miggins, I didn't reply to your posed question!

You are correct. Having disconnected the Manometer he couldn't tell you if the system was leaking or not. He MAY have taken a totally correct tightness test at some point but the way in which you describe... errrr no! Not in any book.

Do as JohnD suggests, get Transco to have a butchers or (and my preference), get a Corgi.

oi blas whats wit giving credit to john twas me who said its unrealistic yer numpty :(

thought you would have picked up on that straight away with the mano.

oi blas whats wit giving credit to john twas me who said its unrealistic yer numpty :(

thought you would have picked up on that straight away with the mano.

Sorry bud :oops:

Had a FEW glasses of the old vino tonight ;) ;) ;) Hic Hic Hic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back