When is a gas leak not a gas leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New gas hob fitted a few weeks ago.

Yesterday morning there was a smell of gas in the kitchen, so we called British Gas who sent a contractor out. His sniffer could not detect anything in the kitchen, so he ran a test at the meter. He said there definitely was a leak and he turned the gas off at the meter. Luckily we have a couple of electric heaters and the house is well insulated. My GSR engineer is coming first thing tomorrow.

I'm interested in why the sniffer was unable to detect a leak and what is allowed by law. Presumably the man was looking for a drop in pressure at the meter, or a change of meter reading when there shouldn't be one. Is any drop/movement allowed and, if so, how much?

Sponsored Links
Using a manometer, "no perceptible drop" is the specified measure of non-leakiness.

You said that you'd smelled gas so he did what he's paid to do,
He turned off therefore making it safe, so now the RGI has to prove if there was a leak or not.

There not called TOFO's for nothing :LOL:

Depends on type and size of meter, size of pipework, old or new pipework , appliances attached or not, taking a standard installation of u6 meter, no pipework bigger than 28mm and appliances attached your allowed a 4mb drop in 2 minutes but if you can smell gas all bets are off and you have to sort the leak or cap off.

Sponsored Links

90% of gas leaks I find are on hob/cooker connections due to the illegal fitment by diyers/kitchen installers.

A drop is permissible on appliances dependent on pipesize/volume/meter size and providing you can't smell gas. No drop is allowable on pipework alone.

Using a manometer, "no perceptible drop" is the specified measure of non-leakiness.
And how long is that particular piece of string? The regulations can't be that vague?

gasguru said:
90% of gas leaks I find are on hob/cooker connections due to the illegal fitment by diyers/kitchen installers.
Mine is one of the 10% done by a GSR engineer.

I'm just hoping that the leak is not in the underfloor pipework as it would mean running new pipework on the surface. :cry:

no perceptible drop means 1/4mb on water gauge or 0.25mb on electronic gauge over period of tightness test ( usually 2 mins in average size house )

i was called back to a hob i fitted earlier this year. customer could smell gas from top drawer under hob.

sniffer couldnt find it. manometer showed a 1mb drop well within allowance. but because the customer could smell if i had to find it.

LDF did find it on a nut under the hob. smallest leak ever.

May be his sniffing equipment needs calibration! or if the leak is inside an appliance were the sniffer can't hear the leak from, so this guy came and left you in the cold without determining where the leak was from!

Remember next time who to call when you smell gas!

a gas leak is always a gas leak.
only time you cap is 1 it fails the tt with
2 passes the tt but you can smell gas.
if you test just the carcess you are allowed no permisable drop even if you cant smell gas
LDF (leak detection fluid)

Yesterday morning there was a smell of gas in the kitchen, so we called British Gas who sent a contractor out. His sniffer could not detect anything in the kitchen, so he ran a test at the meter. He said there definitely was a leak and he turned the gas off at the meter. Luckily we have a couple of electric heaters and the house is well insulated. My GSR engineer is coming first thing tomorrow.

I'm interested in why the sniffer was unable to detect a leak and what is allowed by law. Presumably the man was looking for a drop in pressure at the meter, or a change of meter reading when there shouldn't be one. Is any drop/movement allowed and, if so, how much?

Bit confused ............. you have over 7000 posts and the majority or in the plumbing and Heating Forum ......... Quite certain ive seen you posting advice on flueing issues........ Are you saying you offer lots of advice on heating systems but are not gas safe registered ...... not that you need to be to offer advice

• Thanks
Reactions: oph

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back