Leaking gas pipe

If the engineer was there to perform an annual routine service on a boiler , one could put the case that anything else is outside his remit. Particularly if he is an employee of the service provider. Did sister engage the engineer ,or is it a contract she has with some organisation or other ?

Possibly, but were I that engineer and for my own peace of mind, I would at least do the quick simple check of wanting to know what section of the installation was the source of the leak. What if it was the boiler he/she was servicing?

Sponsored Links
If the engineer was there to perform an annual routine service on a boiler , one could put the case that anything else is outside his remit. Particularly if he is an employee of the service provider. Did sister engage the engineer ,or is it a contract she has with some organisation or other ?

If he did not want to search for the leak, for whatever reason, he should have disced the meter. In fact, if Cadent (?) are to be believed, he should have left it. As 112 pointed out, the permissible escape on that meter is 8mb.

British Gas

Sponsored Links
Yes the first engineer was from BG. He has inspected all the visible pipe and connection to hob and boiler. Apparently, this is fine and hence the leak is in the invisible section of the pipe which is under the floor.

Why have Cadent stated that the leak was 4-6mg and that’s the basis of them shutting it down?
Perhaps there was a smell of gas, or a smell of gas reported by your sister? It won’t be mg, it will be Mbar.

Perhaps there was a smell of gas, or a smell of gas reported by your sister? It won’t be mg, it will be Mbar.
Definitely not my sister but may be the first engineer smelt it? Are we saying that the 8mb rule doesn’t apply if there is smell of gas? Is this a regulation?

Definitely not my sister but may be the first engineer smelt it? Are we saying that the 8mb rule doesn’t apply if there is smell of gas? Is this a regulation?
Yes, this is correct, 8mbar on that meter, providing there is no smell of gas. However, because Cadent have now been called, there can be no permissible drop or a smell of gas.

Last edited:
Why have Cadent stated that the leak was 4-6mg and that’s the basis of them shutting it down?
because someone told them smell of gas simple , regardless of whether fitter attending after can smell it your bg guy has said on contact with cadent there is a drop and smell of gas . But there was no need at all for him to contact them if he thought there was smell of gas and that drop he should have cut off himself

because someone told them smell of gas simple , regardless of whether fitter attending after can smell it your bg guy has said on contact with cadent there is a drop and smell of gas . But there was no need at all for him to contact them if he thought there was smell of gas and that drop he should have cut off himself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back