Rusted gas pipe - insurance claim help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

My sister purchased a property about 2 months ago. Shortly after moving in there was a funny smell in the hallway which we later found to be gas. It turned out that there was a gas pipe running under the kitchen floor which had rusted though. The gas pipe only ran to a gas fire which won't be used so rather than dig up the floor the pipe was capped off before the rusted part and my sister thought this was the end of the problem.

Recently there has been some water on the kitchen floor. It has come from the soil pipe which comes through behind the kitchen cabinets and under the floor. It appears that above ground level there is a crack in the soil pipe however we are unsure if the water on the kitchen floor is coming from this or from a separate crack under the kitchen floor.

Now onto the main point. She has contacted her insurance company with a view to claiming on it to put right. The insurance company has sent someone out who has said they will not pay out as they say the soil pipe leak probably rusted the gas pipe and that these were pre existing before she purchased the property.

Does anyone think it is worth continuing to get anywhere with the insurance company or should she give up on that idea. Also if it was pre existing is there any chance she could claim of the previous owners insurance for when the fault developed. There are signs to show this has been investigated by the previous owner but was never mentioned to my sister.

Thanks
Greg

Sponsored Links
Iron gas pipes take yonks to rust through, In fact when I was gasfitting I used to use them on the allotment as supports for beans! They were put up year after year and didn't rot away. To be fair I don't think you will get anywhere with the insurance company.

It would be nice if vendors had to certify everything was up to scratch, but unless you specifically ask Has the boiler been serviced or have you had drain or flooding problems? They are not obliged to mention it. I have been caught in the past by bodged wiring and DIY that has left endless problems but it's caveat emptor I'm afraid :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back