Leaking gas pipe

Thanks @FiremanT. That was conclusive. I will check on that notice.
Out of interest, if there was a leak on the supplier side (and I can see that this is very unlikely in this situation) who would pay for the kitchen floor tiles that would need to be damaged to get to this pipe?

why worry about that. That is not the case is it?
Chances are the existing pipe would be left as is and new would be cored through the wall. May even fit the gas meter outside.

Sponsored Links
Gas Engineers are required to test the pipework from the meter when attending a property to carry out any Gas related work. It is a simple pressure test that quickly tells them if there is a leak downstream of the meter. If such a leak is found they are then legally obliged to cap the supply until the leak is traced and rectified.

Up to and including the Meter is the Gas Transporters Property and responsibility. In the event of an issue or leak with the pipework buried under the floor, I suspect the most likely outcome would be for the Gas Transporter to fit a new external Meter box and Meter, lay a new service externally to the new meter position, and cap the old service internally, before abandoning it. I was told Regulations now do not allow Gas Pipework internally that cannot be isolated.

In this situation I believe it is then the Property Owners responsibility to engage a RGI to connect from the new meter to the existing pipework in the property.

Sponsored Links
Gas Engineers are required to test the pipework from the meter when attending a property to carry out any Gas related work. It is a simple pressure test that quickly tells them if there is a leak downstream of the meter. If such a leak is found they are then legally obliged to cap the supply until the leak is traced and rectified.
Is it possible the leak is within the boiler? An obvious check would be to close the gas valve at the boiler before doing the test, is that the usual procedure?

Thanks @FiremanT. That was conclusive. I will check on that notice.
Out of interest, if there was a leak on the supplier side (and I can see that this is very unlikely in this situation) who would pay for the kitchen floor tiles that would need to be damaged to get to this pipe?

if the service pipe runs under your floor, they would rerun the pipe somewhere else. they may reposition the meter outside, but they would pay for the connection between the meter and existing internal pipework. they woukd also sort out bonding, if it was correctly installed prior to the re-lay

For them to have capped it off someone must have said they can smell gas because 4to6 mbar drop on that meter is allowed providing no smell of gas . So i imagine the first guy when he phoned told grid that there was a smell of gas

Gas Engineers are required to test the pipework from the meter when attending a property to carry out any Gas related work.
Not strictly true mate, if they’re only working at an appliance, then they can use the isolation valve (y)

@Jupiter01 - I would engage with the plumber who carried out the work, and ask why they didn’t sort out the “leak”, and why indeed call the esp.

Your sisters next step, is to have a RGI find out by testing, exactly where the leak is from. It could be anywhere along the pipe, or in one of the gas appliances. Only once that question is answered can a decision be made on a way forward.

Is it a cooker or a hob.? If a hob, the first place to check is it's connection

It’s a gas job and apparently, the engineer checked all the visible pipe and connections

More sensibly, he should have been able to isolate hob and boiler from the pipe work, test again to decide whether it was a pipe leak and if not, which of the hob or boiler had an issue - informing the customer and only isolating what was essential. If the pipe was the issue, then not much could be done about it there and then, apart from isolating the lot.

If the engineer was there to perform an annual routine service on a boiler , one could put the case that anything else is outside his remit. Particularly if he is an employee of the service provider. Did sister engage the engineer ,or is it a contract she has with some organisation or other ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back