Gas leak? - supply cut off by National Grid Gas,what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new gas meter installed,but when this work had been completed it turned out that there was apparently a gas leak on my side of the new meter :(

The National Grid plumber isolated the appliances but the leak remained,so he declared my installation to be unsafe and cut off my supply - fair enough.

National Grid plumber said I need to get a Gas Safe Plumber to fix the leak before I get reconnected - again,seems reasonable.

I have a boiler,gas cooker and gas fire in my home,but the boiler is directly beneath the meter and seems likely to be safe to use since they suggest that the leak is in the pipework.

1.Would it seem reasonable to assume that if I get a plumber in that cannot easily find the leak,that he would be happy to cap off the pipe to the cooker and gas fire but leave the boiler connected whilst I figure out how to proceed?

2.Would my Gas Safe plumber be authorised to reconnect the gas supply (remove blanking plug from meter pipe) or would National Grid Gas need to come back and conduct an independent leak test?

Sponsored Links
Yes its perfectly ok to just reconnect the boiler and yes he is authorised to turn gas back on without grid being notified .

Did he say or put on the form how many mbar of pressure loss?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile what part of there was still a leak with appliances isolated did you not understand, Doesnt matter if its 0.5 or 21mb

• Thanks
Reactions: oph
Well the leak was said to be 6mb,but I can't see how he could have isolated the gas fire because the little chrome tap on the elbow is seized.

There's been no smell of gas.

Well the leak was said to be 6mb,but I can't see how he could have isolated the gas fire because the little chrome tap on the elbow is seized.

There's been no smell of gas.

Agile is trying to start a Grid bashing scenario, by suggesting that the engineer cut off the supply to make his life easier.

Perhaps he felt it worthwhile to undergo the additional computer and paperwork entailed in isolating the supply as there was in fact a gas leak above the permitted level.

I'm hoping the plumber will find that the leak is in the gas fire and that we didn't smell gas because it went up the chimney.

That's different to what you told us originally when you said he isolated the appliances.

It is most likely the gas fire is leaking and the gas is escaping up the chimney as you suggest.

That level of leak is above what is permitted and he did the correct thing to leave it off.

But he could have capped off the gas fire and enabled you to use the cooker and boiler.

In theory we are told they are permitted to spend up to 30 min searching for and fixing a leak although they rarely spend that long.

Tony

You sure 6mb is above what is allowed to be left without a smell Agile or have you got something basic wrong yet again without knowing the full facts about job

How dare you question the top 100 gas installer in the UK...

If agile says 6mb leak rate is fine with all appliances isolated then so be it...who are we to argue 112?

While we're on the subject agile , I have a 2mb leak on a 35mm supply which has an IV of 0.032 m3 , how much gas is being wasted???????

U da man to ask.... :LOL:

Agile how much of that 30 minutes you say they are allowed is taken up with the tightness testing ?

Should the engineer not have took a tightness test before undertaking the meter replacement?
Just asking like ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back