Gas leak - national grid shut our gas off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Your not going to believe this but we smelt gas and called national grid who shut our gas off as they confirmed a gas between the meter and our boiler. it isnt the meter as he tested that but wouldnt touch the oven or boiler. He said its most likely coming from behind the oven (we have one of those built in ones) or in the boiler somewhere.

Weve obviously got onto the landlord but as of yet no reply. Any ideas?

Really worried now and obviously want this fixed asap

Thank you

Sponsored Links
eerrr.. not quite sure what you expect us to do.

Your landlord will have to get it fixed for you.

NG will have made you safe for now.

Cookers/Hobs are the most common causes closely followed by fires.

NG guys are there to make safe not fix the problem.

No landlord is going to respond at 2am.

Lack of CH and HW is not the end of the world, and if the leak is well hidden it could be a bit of a mission to solve.

My spidey senses tell me that this thread is going to hit 4 - 5 pages.

Hi

Yeah appreciate that this was more just a query to see what the common causes etc were. He said it is a very small leak.

Is it likely to be behind the oven rather than in the copper piping underground etc?

Thank you for the reply i appreciate it is very late

Its often a poor connection behind the hob or dried up service valve.

But as your paying rent you have little to worry about. You're safe now. the landlord has to employ a Gas Safe registered engineer to solve the problem and he can't leave the installation unsafe.

Now a smell has been reported there is no leak allowed at all (as opposed to a small leak through appliances being allowed if there is no smell).

Sponsored Links
As it's a rented property have you got a copy of the gas safety inspection certificate which must be done every year? It's a legal requirement that a landlord has to provide.

Hi yes but highly dubious as (not being racist) he is asian and the person who done it has an asian name so sounds like hes had a mate do it

I do landlord Certs for mates. Why would you assume it wasn't done properly?
And what does the fact that he's Asian have to do with anything?

Just ask to see whoever comes in futures gas safe card/number to be sure they're competent, what're their skin colour.

No what i mean is im quite sure it was done by a mate as the LL is asian and the cert was done by someone with an asian name thats how im quite sure they are mates. If it was an english name i probably wouldnt think so.

Im thinking maybe it wasnt done properly or thoroughly if it was done by a mate but then again could be completely wrong.

Just to clarify skin colour seriously does not come into it other than i was making an educated guess they are mates

Instead of making disparaging remarks, why not check if the RGI is registered. AND what is an asiain name?

No what i mean is im quite sure it was done by a mate as the LL is asian and the cert was done by someone with an asian name thats how im quite sure they are mates. If it was an english name i probably wouldnt think so.

Im thinking maybe it wasnt done properly or thoroughly if it was done by a mate but then again could be completely wrong.

Just to clarify skin colour seriously does not come into it other than i was making an educated guess they are mates

That's the worst attempt to backtrack from a bigoted statement I've seen in a long time. :mrgreen:

On the paperwork they left for inspection, you should find a registered number, go on to gas safe site and type it in it will bring up a picture of the engineer, or it should.

Let us know of the outcom when all fixed, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back