National Grid - Gas Meter move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've currently got builders in at my house who are creating a front extension for me.
For part of the work, I need to move the existing gas meter from the front of the house to bring it forward to the new front of the house (2.1m forward).
This should be a fairly simple job as the current gas main comes into the front of the property, so excavating below the new front wall has found the gas pipe.

I submitted a job request with the National Grid ages ago and was told that the job was planned in for May (this week). I received a further letter last week telling me the work would be carried out in mid-June. It now appears that they have mixed some jobs up and mine is now not possible to be carried out before mid-June!!!

My builders need the current box moving so that they can carry out the knock through (and RSJ insertion) between my existing room and the extended room.
This is now going to hold up this job by a month!!

I've phoned National Grid and they say there is nothing they can do to bring the job in sooner.

So I guess I need to now either wait until after mid-June to proceed with the knock through, or to get the builders to disconnect the internal gas supply from the existing meter box and just work around the box (i.e. leave it attached to a section of the wall we are taking out) but remove the rest of the wall, and insert the RSJ.

Does anyone know if I have any options? I.e. Am I able to pay for a non-National Grid contractor to move my meter (who may be available sooner).
or i guess get someone to completely disconnect my gas, and live without it for a month (I am sure my wife and children will love that ;) )? (but maybe national grid need to do that!!)

Sponsored Links
What is your gas supply pipe made of?

My advise would be to complain to NG about THEIR mess up and ask them to cap off the gas supply in front of the property where the supply pipe will already exposed by your builder. You can threaten to charge the extra building costs that their mess up has caused. But I am sure their terms and conditions make them a total no liability contract!

That will be a simple job taking about 15 min or an hour depending on the type of pipe.

In the meantime buy a small camping gas ring ( or two ) so that you can continue cooking.

OR you could ask NG to provide one of their electric double rings which they have to lend people who have no gas supply due to network problems.

Tony

thank you!
I've already asked them - and have been told that they are not liable to do anything, other than turn up on the June date to carry out the work!

if required, is my builder (or his gas man) allowed to cap off the gas supply on the pipe towards the property - or is this National Grid owned pipework and must be carried out by them?

Sponsored Links
Asking them and registering a complaint is not the same thing.

Its surprising how effective a complaint can be sometimes.

I had a new supply fitted and there was a couple of delays and problems and without even asking they sent me a £200 cheque to compensate me for the delay. I must get round to connecting the meter to the house sometime!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back