Gas meter move - who can do it ? (confused !!!)

27 Jul 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I need my gas meter moved but obviously dont want to pay National Grid £1200 to do all the work so can anyone clarify please :

If i have dug the trench to the required depth and then National Grid extend the service pipe to the meters new location, who can actually re-connect the meter to the new pipe ?

National Grid have just told me........

"....most gas engineers are ignorant and any Gas Safe engineer can connect the meter to the new service pipe"

Is this true ???

My understanding was that anything on "my side" of the meter (cooker, heating etc) then my gas safe engineer can sort but the actual movement of the meter would be National Grid.

Can anyone confirm for me please ???

(Note : Gas meter is a traditional internal old style meter, not sunk into the ground !)
Sponsored Links
not wanting to get involved at what you have been told by national grind.
But if you see some guys working with plastic yellow pipes in your local area ask them in a nice way if they are or know someone who is interested in a cash job.
To move meter and alter service to suit.
I bet you will get a more constructive answer than national griddy.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links