Gas leak - national grid shut our gas off

No i seriously meant it looks like they are mates thats all. I had trouble in my last property when the landlord got his mate to "fix" our boiler. We was without adequate heating and hot water for 3 months before the council stepped in and had the work done in default. That is why i am very cautious of landlords getting mates rates on things.

Thank i will check out the website and see if he is registered.

Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Haha thats just being silly. I can tell they are mates and because of past experience i am always naturally cautious when LLs get mates to carry out gas works etc

You might think it's silly but really it isn't.

My wife is not of this land and I do a lot of work for her ex-pat friends.

Some of the reasons is that they appreciate I am not going to rip them off. As well as that, I understand the cultural nuances and speak the language (poorly).

Doesn't mean i do any less of a professional job, and seeing the prejudice she and her friends have to experience on occasion is very frustrating.

Sponsored Links
Sorry didnt mean it that way. Honestly, was just making a educated guess they were mates. My girlfriend is portuguese so believe me i have respect for cultures.

Thank you

Depending on where you live, some areas have high asian ( Indian ) populations.

The landlord might well find that many of the listed gas people in his area are also asian too.

Just because he has found/chosen/had recommended an asian gas person does not make me think that there is any exidence of any mate relationship at all.

But of course they could know each other from the same mosque, temple, church etc.

It always amuses me that many asians do NOT want another asian to do work for them! Also many asian gas people will not work for other asians. One told me its like rupees talking to rupees!

One asian fellow wanted me do do a job for him and was quite upset when I told him he is some way away and I recommended an asian friend of mine to do the job!

Another wanted me to come about 15 miles because the local service agent only 1/2 mile away refused to do any work for them. Amusingly I have been there a few times over the years and speak to them in their own language. Although they have moslem sayings on the front door the husband says that he often has a whisky a few times a week after work!

In spite of what Dan says I have seen virtually no prejudice against Chinese or Japanese people. In one case just one very minor incident over 13 years!

Has your landlord responded yet?

Tony

look guys i didnt mean it to sound like i was judging them of course they can do a great job. anyway good on them they rang me at 6am and was at mine by 930. looks like the problems been fixed. something wasnt quite tight enough behind the boiler so i think it is ok. will keep an eye(nose) on it for a bit.

hopefully thats the end of it!

To the OP, here's a question for you. If it were your own property, and you were paying the bills, would you rant about how NG turned the gas off and your regular plumber isn't already there fixing it at 2am ? Or would you consider that getting a 24Hr service out wouldn't be a good way to spend your money and "manage" until the next day ?

I'd say most people would take the attitude that for the saving, they'll manage till next day.

Also, if the fault turns out to be non trivial (not the case here), would you also rant about how bad it is, or accept that you'll just have to manage till (for example) the parts arrive ? Again, I think most people paying their own bills would find that they can manage.

But once the property is rented, I can tell you from the other side of the fence that tenants have "unrealistic" expectations. For some reason, a boiler that is expected to have occasional problems when it's owned is expected to be 100% reliable because it's not the tenant's responsibility. Likewise, some tenants seem to think that the landlord should be on his way to fix a problem before it's been reported - or even without it being reported.

As others have pointed out, as a landlord our hands are tied by law - so when (as in a case I had) the registered Gas Safe people I employ struggle to fix a boiler in a timely manner. There's a good reason there are such strict rules in place regarding work on gas systems. And of course, I don't employ someone to sit around on their backside waiting for a fault to happen, so I (and the tenant) have to wait until they are available. In your case, they've been on site THE SAME DAY which is quite impressive.

I have to say, it's really obvious whether a tenant has owned their own property before. Those that have are pragmatic about the realities of things going wrong and how long it takes to fix them. Those that haven't tend to have unrealistic expectations.

But as to the "asian sounding name" thing. Thank you for not being one of my tenants !
As others have pointed out, just because two people are asian doesn't mean they are friends - in the same way that two people have "traditional English" names doesn't make them friends. Even if they are friends, it doesn't automatically mean that there's anything dodgy going on.

Given what you've posted in this thread, I'd guess you have other issues that don't make you a model tenant. They'd be enough for me to be chalking up another mark towards "too much trouble, Section 21 time".

I knew they wouldnt be here at 2am of course not i was simply saying i left a message. Also yes im very grateful they came the same day. I had no choice but to call NG as i thought i could smell gas and i was worried as i have a young son. I also have anxiety which was partly brought on by a previous landlord and all the problems we encountered one of which was another boiler related issue where the boiler was broken for 3 months over winter and we felt very vulnerable.

You don't live in the provinces.

I lived in Worcester for five years with a Chinese looking lady without seeing any form of odd behaviour from anyone.

In fact her patients all loved her and many gave her small tips when she cycled to their homes to see them!

Tony

In fact her patients all loved her and many gave her small tips when she cycled to their homes to see them!
:LOL:

That doesn't make any sense dude.

My missus gets all sorts of albeit minor prejudices.

One thing that winds her right up is being called "Chinky". Imagine calling a Welshman or Scott English?!! She has been told to go home, she has been followed in stores, she has generally stared at for no other reason than she's different.

It is even worse when we are together... but then I am nearly 2' taller so that is not unreasonable.

In Japan it is even worse; and not just with the prejudice aimed at me. She is often looked down upon because she is with me and we have a halfling child. Although he is of course loved by all on the grounds that he is awesomely good looking and friendly.

It is hilarious when comments are made behind my back - they assume that I don't understand; and can't speak the lingo. So when I spin round a grimace at the perpetrator and give a reply in the native tongue. It is totally unexpected and they just don't know how to react :D. Caught an uncle-in-law a treat last year at a family wedding:cool:

One of the few benefits of living in London was that no one gave a monkeys.

But anyway, Tony, your lady friend was lucky. Once you get out of the major cities, or local "ghetto" things can be very different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back