When is a gas leak not a gas leak?

Sponsored Links
To answer your question D Hailsham there is an allowance when testing gas systems but in your case as the customer /user has reported a smell of gas then there is no allowable pressure drop except that allowed by your meter or measuring equipment, would take all night to discuss what that is on here but your transporter/supplier has done a TOFO in answer to an earlier question it is turn off and **** off which they do on most jobs and if I was working for them I would do the same, why get grief when you can pass the buck

Also when is a gas leak not a gas leak is when my wife cleans the hob, and on a few occasions managed to leave the knob slightly on, and on one occasion the deadly timer ( a lit candle nearby) was also on, the house was so close from getting obliterated

I think, H&S should ban all women from cooking with or touching gas cookers unless they are registered and qualified GS Cooks!

no perceptible drop means 1/4mb on water gauge or 0.25mb on electronic gauge over period of tightness test ( usually 2 mins in average size house )

someone else who hasn't got a clue what they are talking about

Sponsored Links
no perceptible drop means 1/4mb on water gauge or 0.25mb on electronic gauge over period of tightness test ( usually 2 mins in average size house )

WTF are you on about?

Why 0.25mb on electronic? , would this be to 1 decimal place? , give it up you fool.

Engineer came at 8.30.

Tested the new pipework to the hob with LDF and couldn't detect a leak.

Ran a 2 minute test at the meter and the pressure dropped a ¼mb even when the hob was turned off at the local isolation tap.

Conclusion a leak in the underfloor pipework

Solution new pipework from the outside meter: up the wall, across loft (with drop down to boiler in bedroom), down rear wall, into the kitchen an to the gas hob. Estimated cost £500 + VAT.

I wasn't a happy bunny.

Then, for some unknown reason, the engineer decided to check the joint where the new pipework for the hob connected to the old pipework coming out of the wall (he called it barrel pipe). He found it could be tightened a little.

Ran another 2 min test at the meter: no drop.

I sighed with relief. :D

Should I be charged for this?

It was the same company who fitted the hob three weeks ago, but a different employee came today to solve the leak problem.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I think gas wizard was being helpful ....... Not abusive ... Just pointing out the obviouse about the previous post

a gas leak is always a gas leak.
only time you cap is 1 it fails the tt with
2 passes the tt but you can smell gas.
if you test just the carcess you are allowed no permisable drop even if you cant smell gas
LDF (leak detection fluid)

I actually wonder how many qualified plumbers carry a defective manometers that actually themselves leak at the tube connections or at the test nipple copuplings?

Mod10 I suggest you remove this 'unhelpful' post.

As a company ............ No we would not charge ............ to be honest would be bit embarrased about there being a leak

personaly i would have brought the engineer a drink....

a gas leak is always a gas leak.
only time you cap is 1 it fails the tt with
2 passes the tt but you can smell gas.
if you test just the carcess you are allowed no permisable drop even if you cant smell gas
LDF (leak detection fluid)

I actually wonder how many qualified plumbers carry a defective manometers that actually themselves leak at the tube connections or at the test nipple copuplings?

i would expect quite a few.
thats why i carry 4 manometers 2 water type and 1 regin and one on my kane 455.. and a fresh 2 meter length hose..
when i have a leak i always test 3 times to make sure its not my equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back