Question about testing for Gas leaks

jam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
When testing for a gas leak on pipe work on a gas meter using a manometer,ive read that you need to allow 2-4mbar through the Manometer using the main gas cock than shut,if slow rise in pressure,indicates main gas cock is letting through.If o.k than open valve and allow pressure to 20 mbar and test to see if no further drop on manometer.
My question is it possible to start the test at 20mbar to see if rises slowly therefore gas letby , if not continue with the test to see if stabilize.
thanks

Sponsored Links
You aren't Corgi Reg.d are you? Only people with the relevant qualifications are allowed to work on gas fittings. I would suggest referring this job to a gas engineer before something disastrous happens.

It is a just a question of some explanation why the second method cannot be used.
thanks

because on some installations the max gas pressure may only be 20 mb so any let by will not be detected as the pressure is already at it's maximum.

Sponsored Links
yes it's feasable that the governor can lock up at 20mb therefore you wouldn't notice a rise, let by should be carried out at 10 mb by the way don't know where 3 - 4 came from

after 1 and 2 honest ask anyone as for that letby thing i was told by a gas engineer that it is possible a let by can be missed if it matches a leak u have :?: and please jam leave that alone u can get a drop test done (TIGHTNESS TEST ) for £ 15 or even free if you smell gas TRANSCO will be there in 1 hour i believe

BAN ALL SALES OF GAS APPLIANCES TO JOE PUBLIC

no spill chacher wus hirt in thu makin fo thes :D

1 you obviously aint registered
2 probably because you dont hold any acs
3 you keep posting questions about gas
4 you are either an apprentice who should know better or a dabbler who should leave it alone
5 my advice go to college the same as the rest of us have to and learn how to do the job properley

HI
Thanks from the reply from ollski and Weargas just the answer i needed to know,as i previously mentioned it is just a question i thought to ask as to why it cannot be tested at 20mbar nothing more,i didn't state i was on gas installation job.
Kevplumb just thought i let you know this was my first post about Gas Questions,i don't know where you got your info from.

Thanks again.

obviously i am what i am but then again who knows what i am all i have said is truthfull ( flipant ) but the truth which is more than can be said for the so called mongrel (corgi ) gas fitters i doubt wether u lot really care about the whole idea of safety as we all know u pay your dues to an overseer that has no intention of stopping the sale of gas appliances this is what i am all about so i might say a few things to hmm upset u so what if your that thin skinned i cant you come on read between the lines for crying out loud show some bottle and tell corgi to shove it get together and make a real governing body that can act to curb UNLAWFULL sales of gas appliances as that is what it is isnt it u cant tell me u dont condone it yet no one seems to say anything about it do they :?: if not why not £££££££££££££££ that is why the whole thing is £££££ nothing more nothing less and as for going to college do me a favour lol when u sit your ccn1 all and i mean all of the answers are put in front of u in the form of books ? go on tell me i am wrong i dares ya u know its a joke as for dabbling i really dont but dont get me wrong its so easy to do u know it is or can u tell me different ? have u gauge can travel

pps let by can hide a leak if they match each other the only really true way to check for letby is to turn gas off and ecv and dismantle then spray or then make a fitting to measure letby is occuring or not WHY isnt that system used ££££££ again too long too much time ££££ ching ching know what i mean guvnor

steps of his high horse :p

whilst i agree with the gist of your comments slogger .i feel i must comment on one or two points
1yes you have the books when you do the acs knowing where to look when the clocks ticking is another matter as you would know had you been there
2 i have raised the matter of joe public buying gas appliances over the counter with my local inspector
The official word i got was that its an infringement of peoples civil liberties to not have the right to do it
3agree the firm needs some teeth all they seem to do is come down on those of us who try to play the game
BAN ALL SHEDS FROM SELLING GAS APPLIANCES.

SAYS IT ALL :mad: now gets off soapbox

what has civil liberties got to do with safety ? i mean you cant now go and buy a hand gun ? can u that was a civil liberty

come on lads dont hide the fact that corgi cant and wont act and HSE is no better if we where serious about safety i know sales could be stopped overnight

and as for the acop ccn1 etc i bow to your patience in having to sit the same exam every 5 yrs albeit with some updates come on this is so a money maker
if you have been a gasman for 20 yrs do you need to resit the same thing ?

seems sad way to make sure competance they are taring all of you with the same brush as the gasman that dont know his ar*e from his elbow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back