Gas leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had to call up national grid at the weekend because my gas meter locked off and displayed 'call help', they decided it was the gas card an reset the meter only to find that when they did a pressure test the pressure kept dropping so bingo capped supply.

While thinking where a gas leak could be in the house and saving money for the repairs I've been looking at the exposed underside of my boiler today and there seems to be a big burnt patch of wallpaper underneath it and also on the sides where is sits on the wall the insulation seems to have melted at the rear on both sides.

The boilers is only 4-5 years old i believe and was serviced before we brought the property in December. I have read that burn marks near a boiler can indicate a gas leak so my question is could this be where im losing pressure (boiler was off at the time) or have I maybe got two problems instead of one?

Sponsored Links
Afraid you have been given absolute crap information the scorching marks are more likely to be where the installer has soldered a joint without protecting the adjacent surfaces , if it was a gas leak then it would still be alight, you need a RGI to have a look as to where you have the leak its not something you can legally do yourself

did the ID (immediately dangerous) form that your supplier will have left you state what the leak was should state how many millibars (mb) over a timed period ?

Sponsored Links
it just says leak on an internal pipe. I recall he said it went for 16 to 10 in 30 sec or so. We didnt know we had a leak either as didnt smell gas. Ive added pictures for the boiler if someone could be so kind as to confirm if it looks like a soldiering burn .

yep that looks like a classic solder burn , if the leak is at the rate you state then it is surprising that you havent smelt it, but has been known depending on premises

the pipes run under the upstairs floor boards so I was surprised as well although I had been suffering from headaches for a couple of weeks and now they have just vanished so I do wonder if it had anything to do with those.

the pipes run under the upstairs floor boards so I was surprised as well although I had been suffering from headaches for a couple of weeks and now they have just vanished so I do wonder if it had anything to do with those.

I politely suggest you change your reading material as that is the most likely source of your headaches. :rolleyes:

I politely suggest you change your reading material as that is the most likely source of your headaches. :rolleyes:

Keep up, mate.

His headaches have stopped.

The gasman checked the airing cupboard ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back