GAS - GAS - GAS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I entered my house last night I smelt gas! So I called Transco immediately.

Engineer arrived, did a test in the meter and detected that the was a leak from my internal pipe. He then did changed the outlet connector to see if the leak was from their side but even then it was showing sign of leak from my side.

Anyhow, he then used a sniff in all of my gas appliance, from the gas cooker to gas fire there was to trace of gas leak.

But when he dose the test from the actual meter there is a sign of a leak some where and it is said to me its from my internal pipe. So their have left the gas disconnect and advised me to call COGI man to find out where the leak my be.

Phoned one COGI, he said in this situation you’d have to re-do all of the gas pipe.

Is this correct?

Any advise will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you know where the leak is, I doubt if you have to replace all pipe.

If not, this is a typical example of tradesmen trying to rip you off. :!:

Unfortunately Transco no longer trace the leak on the internal pipe. The gas detectors TRANSCO use are much more powerful than the machines you can buy at merchants, and it may have paid you to chuck him £20 and ask him to see if he can pinpoint the location of the leak. Without one of these machines it may be difficult for a CORGI guy to find the location of the leak so a complete repipe may be necessary.
FYI, a small leak can be left provided it is within the tolerances allowed and you can't smell gas. But because you reported you could smell gas, TRANSCO must cap off the meter even if the leak is within the tolerances allowed.

Thank you for your reply.

I have someone coming in to check where the leak may be, if no success than we've got no other choose but re-piping it.

Can the pipe be fitted on the wall, behind the kitchen unit? will there be any building regulation preventing this?

Dose it have to be under the floorboards?

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
A complete re-pipe?

It's going to be expensive.

Make sure you get a quote before he does the job.

And surely there must be a better way of repairing a leak than removing every bit of pipe.

I would have said buy some leak detection fluid and try all the joints yourself but as it has been capped off you can't. I can't imagine a complete repipe would be necessary, it is most likely from an appliance anyway or did he run the test with all the appliances disconnected?. Any engineer should be able to pick it up on a telegan if it was enough for you to smell

S.W.M.B.O. swears there is always a smell of gas........especially after sprouts ;) roll on Xmas day

I doubt you'll have to change all the gas pipe. You probably have more than you need. If you only have say a boiler and nothing else, then a replacement without trying to find the leak may be cheapest.

Gas pipe can go under the floor, behind cupboards or even on the outside of the house.

If you have a lot of gas appliances and pipes all over the house, I would cut and cap the pipe and test it each side of the cut. This is quite simple to do with some standard equipment. The hardest part is typically lifting flooring to get to the pipe. By testing sections of pipe the leak(s) can be isolated so less pipe has to be replaced.

More often than not, the leak is to be found very close to the gas meter or close to an appliance; start the search where you smelled the gas.

miah said:
Anyhow, he then used a sniff in all of my gas appliance, from the gas cooker to gas fire there was to trace of gas leak..

So she obviously has more than one appliance, and unless they are all situated around some sort of central chimney, there is probably a fair bit of pipe to replace, assuming he replaces the lot.

Either way, unless you want to do the job of perhaps searching all the pipes yourself for a hole (assuming theyre visible) you might now want to just pay the money and get it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back