Gas leak or not?

Thanks guys. This is a great forum. I certainly didn't expect to get a reply so quickly on a Friday night. Don't know what that says about you though! ;)

I'll tell my mum to cancel the job and get Transco to come.

The annoying thing is, we have both used a local company many times in the past and know them to be trustworthy, competent and reasonably priced, but my mum couldn't remember their name so phoned a local number instead! :rolleyes:

I sent my mum home for the chit he left. It says

"checked for gas soundness. Passed but safety cut out on gas valve not working - passing gas to pilot when there is no flame. New gas valve on order."

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. This is a great forum. I certainly didn't expect to get a reply so quickly on a Friday night. Don't know what that says about you though! ;)

The annoying thing is, we have both used a local company many times in the past and know them to be trustworthy, competent and reasonably priced, but my mum couldn't remember their name so phoned a local number instead! :rolleyes:

"checked for gas soundness. Passed but safety cut out on gas valve not working - passing gas to pilot when there is no flame. New gas valve on order."

Sounds pretty kosher me to be honest.

So your 'Soundness' test (read 'Tightness' Test for Corgi zzzzz!) was passed but he found the Gas Valve to be letting by.

However, and I know I've had a few tonight but, didn't you say he said it would be ok to use until he came to fix it? (or have I drunk too much?). If the Valve is letting by I would suggest you DO NOT use the appliance until the valve is fixed/replaced.

Now then, where is that Chateau Neuf Du Pape I've been saving....

However, and I know I've had a few tonight but, didn't you say he said it would be ok to use until he came to fix it? (or have I drunk too much?). If the Valve is letting by I would suggest you DO NOT use the appliance until the valve is fixed/replaced.
Yes, he did say that it would be ok to use the boiler in the meantime - my mum specifically asked him, assuming that it would be unsafe to use without the repair, but he said it was ok to carry on using it until next week.

It all seems a bit odd to me, so we'll get Transco in to confirm before shelling out any money. If they confirm the fault we can still get the same guy to do the job, so if he's on the level he'll still get the work.

Thanks guys. This is a great forum. I certainly didn't expect to get a reply so quickly on a Friday night. Don't know what that says about you though!

That we, or at the very least, I, am SAD. ;)

Who'd of thought it 20 years ago that I'd be sat here typing away replys to questions yet everyone had gone to bed. Story of my life really :LOL:

I'd tell a few jokes but nobody is reading and anyway, the Mods would Duff me up.

Sponsored Links
If the gas is passing to pilot then you don't have a leak when the pilot is burning.

The reading of this post from start to end seems as though the 'fault' has changed.

The fitter is probably right and the gas valve needs changing, depending on what the pressure drop was.

that paints a slightly different picture to the story however it does not take away the fact the hes removed a monometer and and shown a dropping pressure reading .

their are now to options

1/ he found a leak and blaggarded with the manometer just to emphasis to elderly or disabled person

2/ hes deliberatly misleading you

what i would recomend to you know.
1/ call number on meter or

2/ call the engineer and ask him to clarify hes findings and ask whether he should have left the monometer in place for the test. wouldnt argue it but i would suggest that if you was to ask him to show you prior to him doing anymore work on it then he proberbly would which you could then ask him to use a gas sniffer to locate and verify the leak.

i think most guys would agree on here, if any of the engineers was working on a job and a customer had concern they would revisit to clarify where needed, however if engineers had arguementative customer they wouldnt even bother turning out.

if applaince is passing gas to pilot this would still show on test at meter point, there is absolutly no reason for any engineer to remove the manometer to show any person the result of such test for any reason other than fabrication of result.

I have played with a few gas valves letting by to the pilot.

In many cases they will seal themselves if they are allowed to drop out a few times.

Tony

Just thought I'd update the thread. Transco were out today and there is a leak. The engineer who called today advised that this particular boiler is prone to leaks at that point and also showed my mum the reading as he took it. Over 1,000, whatever that means. He advised that the system should not be used until it's fixed, so it's off with warning sticker attached!

Thanks again for your assistance guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back