Gas/corgi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 years ago we had a gas cooker fitted, the plumber did all the relevant tests and everything was fine...
This week we had a new fireplace and gas fire fitted by a 'Corgi' registered fitter.
Tonight (Fri) a gas man came to change the meter, when he did a drop test on it before changing the meter he found a leak. He changed the meter and then drop tested it again and it still leaks so he has had to blank it off until we can get it fixed...

Apparently when the fire fitter left he should have done a drop test on the system but he didn't go near the meter (which is locked in the cellar)...

Should we have got a cetificate for this installation and should he have done a drop test?

Thanks
Claire

Sponsored Links
If the gas fire has a local point of isolation a drop test at the meter is not required. He could turn off the valve and soap test any new joints locally, this is acceptable.

Have you ever smelled gas or reported a smell of gas?

We have never had a smell of gas anywhere in the house...

But the drop test was literally dropping in front of our eyes instead of <4 in 2mins...

If the gas fire has a local point of isolation a drop test at the meter is not required. He could turn off the valve and soap test any new joints locally, this is acceptable.

I thought this was just for servicing and that a tightness test should be carried out on all new installations, I certainly do and leave a print out of the test stapled to the installation paperwork.

There wasn't a hob burner left on or something like that? It sounds too bad to be a leak, more like an open burner, or a pilot light left on somewhere.

Yes you should have got a certificate from CORGI.

Sponsored Links

I thought this was just for servicing and that a tightness test should be carried out on all new installations,

I have to agree with dave on this one, am sure that a new installation of an appliance MUST have a tightness test carried out

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back