Gas Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Just had a gas hob fitted and the plumber did a gas test after and said there was a leak because of how fast it dropped on the machine he used, used some spray and found it bubbling on a joint, he tightened it up and did another test.

The second test started at 21.05 and dropped through the two 30 second tests to 20.67ish, with it dropping does this mean there is still a gas leak, he said that the drop was nothing and it can have a drop of 6 bar meaning it could technically drop to 15 over a 2 minute test?

My only problem is, if this is correct and it can drop would i not smell it and would it not cause the gas to collect and set fire/explode when lighting the hob/lighter etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sorry but your post makes absolutely no sense, you dont test anything for 30 seconds , and it certainly didnt drop by 6 Bar

He tested it for 1 minute, 2 30 second tests.

it dropped from 21.05 to 20.67 over the minute he tested and said it’s fine….

he said it can official drop 6 bar though

he said it can official drop 6 bar though
do you know how much 6 Bar is ? you wouldnt have a house left !! your gas meter should supply a maximum of 23 millibar, that is 23 thousandths of a bar, so how could it drop 6 Bar ? I can assure you if it was dropping 6 Bar you wouldnt be txting on here

Sponsored Links
God knows, that’s what we said i might of misheard, when he tested and knew there was a leak the 21 was dropping quite drastically.

However when sorted, over the minute test it went from 21.05 to 20.67 is that an acceptable drop when testing gas?

what he should have done was test before starting any work, then test again when finished his work, how else would he know if he had caused a gas escape with what he had done , if you are concerned call 0800 111 999 and they will come and do a free test but will probably turn it off and tell you to get a GSR to check

what he should have done was test before starting any work, then test again when finished his work, how else would he know if he had caused a gas escape with what he had done , if you are concerned call 0800 111 999 and they will come and do a free test but will probably turn it off and tell you to get a GSR to check
This....because from what you've said OP, the guy hasnt a clue.

OP, the way and time he tested is not standard practice. Did you see his Gas Safe ticket and was it in date? Did he write up a gas safety certificate?

If he is doing a tightness test then he sets the pressure in the pipe as seen on his gauge, waits for a min for everything to settle and then runs the test for a further 2 minutes. If he didn't do that then he didn't do it correctly. If he said a 6 millibar (mbar) drop is permissible, even then that's not correct, there is no instance where 6 mbar is acceptable. There are permissible drops in certain circumstance but none are 6mbar.

As @ianmcd suggests, if you have concerns call the number on your gas meter and they'll come and check but do be prepared, if any drop is found, for them to cap the supply and tell you to get it fixed. Never take chances with gas.

If he said a 6 millibar (mbar) drop is permissible, even then that's not correct, there is no instance where 6 mbar is acceptable. .
Do you want to read up on that before you give out wrong information again

Do you want to read up on that before you give out wrong information again

What .... the permissible drops, existing installation with appliances connected and where there's no smell of gas being 8/4/2.5 & 1 mbar, meter and pipe size dependent?? Where is 6 referenced??

Last edited:
What .... the permissible drops, existing installation with appliances connected and where there's no smell of gas being 8/4/2.5 & 1 mbar, meter and pipe size dependent?? Where is 6 referenced??
oh deary deary me what did you say
"there is no instance where 6mb is acceptable"
so explain to me how an 8mb drop on an e6 is acceptable but a 6mbar drop on an e6 isnt

oh deary deary me what did you say

Ah ok, I was being specific in response to the OP's engineer intimating it could be up to 6mbar, fair enough my language wasn't correct.

Silly me .... seriously though, it hardly needed the comment "read up on that before you give out the wrong information again" ... it was hardly wrong information .... obviously if there was a 6mbar on an E6 then there would be an issue.

Ah ok, I was being specific in response to the OP's engineer intimating it could be up to 6mbar, fair enough my language wasn't correct.

Silly me .... seriously though, it hardly needed the comment "read up on that before you give out the wrong information again" ... it was hardly wrong information .... obviously if there was a 6mbar on an E6 then there would be an issue.
In what way would it be an issue ?

sigh .... I need to go to my bed ... if there was a smell of gas....ok? Feels like I'm on my ACS again.

I'll be honest though, I'd be checking things thoroughly if I had a 6mbar drop on an E6 even without a smell of gas, just to be sure!!

sigh .... I need to go to my bed ... if there was a smell of gas....ok? Feels like I'm on my ACS again.

I'll be honest though, I'd be checking things thoroughly if I had a 6mbar drop on an E6 even without a smell of gas, just to be sure!!
more than you would on a 3mb drop on a u6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back