Drop test on main gas pipe

We see incomplete stories posted on this forum vey often!

If I go to a situiation like this then I charge to identify the problem and then quote to sort it out ( usually included if a minor p[roblem ).

In this case its not clear what the BG man was called to do and what he was paid.

Whatever that was it is clearly not what the OP actually needed. He seems to be unhappy with what the BG man did but that has to be assessed against what he was called for and what he was paid.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Even if the gas detector didnt go off around the hob it still may of leaked gas or even the pipe work to it. Sounds like you wanna point the finger cos your tenants giving you some ear ache.

Or the bg guy is looking to hit his sales :LOL:

...Please help urgent need to called british gas back to get back out, or if not got to get electric hob sorted asap as gas is obslete.

BG did what they were obliged to do, and that is pretty much where it ends. You will have to find somebody willing to trace and repair the leak, or replace that part of the pipework all together.

It may sound like a con, but quite often it takes more time ( and thus money ) to find the leak than to replace the pipe.

Forget about getting BG to do the work, because they don't have to; find yourself a good RGI.

FFS read between the lines gentlemen. :rolleyes:

IMO yes he should have capped the hob or fire to ascertain whether the leak was at the hob or fire. the only reason i say this is because he had already started doing this, if i had turned up the NG cap would never have been removed as it looks like the appropiate level of cover isn't there.

as it stands he tried to do you a favour or simply wasn't aware that you are not covered. either way there is nothing stopping you paying BG or someone else to complete the work.

Sponsored Links
The tenant is actually happy with the gas fire not working as she has got central heating and happy for me to replace gas hob with electric.

I just wanted it fixed if it was covered. What I am reading off this forum that on the BG 400 plan my problem is not covered, I thought all gas pipes was covered and that is what BG told me when I phoned for a claim. What exactly is covered gas pipes with BG 400 plan ?

Thanks

apologies i didn't read that. if you have 400 then you should have drains and electrics yes? if so then the gas pipe is covered. unless they have changed it.

diycooper";p="1858544 said:
The tenant is actually happy with the gas fire not working as she has got central heating and happy for me to replace gas hob with electric.

I just wanted it fixed if it was covered. What I am reading off this forum that on the BG 400 plan my problem is not covered, I thought all gas pipes was covered and that is what BG told me when I phoned for a claim. What exactly is covered gas pipes with BG 400 plan ?

Simple. read the contract, and determine exactly what you are covered for. Unless a respondent happens to work for BG and regularly on these contracts, any thing you are told is speculation. Tony was right, in that you didn't provide clear details, which is what i was driving at earlier.

Here is my take on this: IF you are covered for the fire AND all pipework, then clearly, BG should come back and repair and reinstate. If pipework NOT covered, AND all you say is accurate, he probably should have capped off pipe to test pipework. But, he may have determined that the leak was under the floor, in which case it is quite common to re-run., He should have capped off both ends of defunct pipe anyway. But as in all these case, it is a faorly pointless discussion until you know what you are entiotled to under the T&Cs of youre contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back