Gas feed pipe for new fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
New poster so hello all.

My question, we are having an inset gas fire fitted to replace our rather old outset gas fire. The gas fitter, who was recommended by the shop that we bought the fire from, says he will have to replace the nice chrome pipe that presently feeds our existing gas fire with a paper thin, rubbish looking copper pipe. Now okay I'm not going to argue about that but I would like to know why he cannot use a new chrome plated copper pipe to feed our shiny new fire rather than a copper pipe that will eventually go green and horrible. It could well be that he will have to hide the pipe anyway in which case he will have to drill through the wall, take that pipe outside then drill through the back of the fire place and bring the pipe in that way. As I say I don't, particularly have a problem with this if that is what he has to do. I would just like to know why a nasty copper bit of pipe rather than a nice shiny chrome one.

Sponsored Links
Because if the job is done properly, and site conditions permitting, you wont see the nice shiny chrome tube.
Also:
The chrome tube is only available in a few lengths to a max of probably 1.5 metres
Modern inset fires are designed for rear/concealed entry, using copper
In my experience, you cannot neatly bend modern chrome tube, like we could 20/30 years ago. The composition is clearly harder and less malleable, for some reason, probably cost.

Was a survey carried out before actually buying the fire? Make/model?

where does gas pipe enter the room. Can you post a pic?

Nope sorry no pics. I bought the fire from a local shop and they sent their gas fitter down to look at the job and he says he can do it. He has a gas safe logo on the side of his van and that is good enough for me. I was slightly concerned that if I bougjht the fire and then the fitter came down and said he couldn't do the job I would end up with a gas fire that I paid a stupid amount of money for sitting in my shed. But the fitter says if for any reason he cannot fit it then I can send it back. He will be held to that. As I said I just wanted to know why I couldn't have a chrome pipe instead of a copper one but you have answered that thank you.

Sponsored Links
Not interested. My question was answered in amongst all the crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back