Repairing leak in central heating system

I've had plaster, kitchen units and appliances ruined by a water leak. Laminated chipboard units are irreparably damaged if wet.

Sponsored Links
Is it worth all this aggro for a bit of redecorating after the council have repaired the buildings damage. Do you want your mother to have a potentially hostile upstairs neighbour. OK you could threaten him / her with your solicitor friend but things could still get unpleasant.

This is the problem - my mum doesn't want to fall out with her - but in all honesty - this woman is a nightmare and my mum has had nothing but bother with her. She's your typical mad cat lady - feeds every cat in the neighbourhood, we can't let the dog out in the garden without a collar and lead on in case he chases the umpteen cats roaming about, won't take a turn on cutting communal grass, puts raw meat out in her garden at night for whatever live stock wants to eat it - the list goes on and my mum won't say anything about it - this has been the final straw to be honest.

Yes, all I want is for my mum's house to be reinstated the way it was - but I don't see that we should have to pay again to redecorate, replace flooring, etc. That's just not fair - and I know life isn't fair sometimes.

I guess we just need to see what Dynorod come up with and if necessary, I'll keep pushing - if what the neighbour says is right and she has reported a problem as many times as she's said, the BG must have been negligent in not investigating the leak in the first place. According to neighbour, she had to lift the floorboards herself on Saturday when Dynorod came out to see to the leak because they don't do such things. Having said that, I take what she says with a pinch of salt as she's not always truthful - after all, when my mum said to her that she'd told her about the leak, she denied it and my mum said that she had told her because neighbour had said that the guy that normally did work for her had died and neighbour answered yes, but she phoned BG immediately - so total contradiction.

Alison, I have a 92 yo mother who falls victim to every cowboy trader and cold seller . She paid £2800 + cash to some cowboy who offered to clean her gutters then told her she needed major roof work. I'd still like to break his legs or failing that sue him but it's not feasible or practical so sometimes you just have to let these things go. My mother certainly isn't up to giving evidence in a court case and I guess yours wouldn't want to.

Your poor mum :(

It's just so frustrating that my mum's potentially going to be out of pocket all because of her neighbour or BG - whichever is at fault. We should hear from BG tomorrow - failing that I may give them a call to ask what's happening. It's probably bugging me more because my upstairs neighbour flooded me twice now and lied about what happened and I had to claim off my own insurance.

As I said, the perils of having an upstairs neighbour:(

Sponsored Links
The world is not perfect.

Many of us have encountered difficult people and neighbours.

Tony

One of mine asked me to pay a £300 excess on her insurance.

Only problem is her insurers wrote to me as well saying the excess was £200!

Tony

She also told us she was conned by one of these people who ask for cash to get money owed to them released. Said it was £800 but we found it was £8000 ! She buys extended TV warranties, devices to block cold callers (sold by cold callers! )etc just because it's easier to buy one than refuse ! Still it doesn't worry her unduly. It annoys me but you have to learn not to fight battles you can't win.

The world seems to be full of conning barstewards.

Just doing a snotty email to British Gas - gotta get it off my chest somehow.

I just want to clarify though - if you have a combi boiler that's pressure keeps plummeting and you have to keep topping it up, would that indicate to you that there was a leak somewhere in the system? According to neighbour, she's had them out 11 times because of this and they told her there was no leak (even though mother's ceiling and walls were soaking). Even on Saturday, when the guy from Dynorod was out, neighbour said that he refused to lift the floorboards and she had to get her friend to do it so he could "fix" the leak - not sure if I believe that or not. Apparently they don't do dirty jobs.........................

You are correct concerning the diagnosis of the losing pressure combi - but were they aware of the drenching that your Mum was suffering?
I certainly can't comment about the floorboard lifting but if they aren't prepared to do a full investigation then there's no point in showing up in the first place.
As an addendum, if you are recommended to claim on your own insurance for this, where does their own public liability insurance come in?
John :)

sorry for being of topic everyone , alison i like your dog in avatar (y) , sorry to hear about your problems thou (n) .

Ahh proud mummy moment - that's my boy, Cairo. He'll be 11 this year.

It gets worse I suppose. Neighbour got all her floor replaced courtesy of British Gas and of course, she's cock--hoop. The service manager from British Gas came in to see my mum today - I was there - and said that there are many reasons for pressure to drop in a combi boiler and the engineers wouldn't think to go down and ask my mum if she had water coming through her ceiling. According to him, even though mother told neighbour about the water coming through the ceiling - neighbour didn't actually tell BG - she just complained about her boiler pressure dropping - so I do understand that BG can't be liable when neighbour didn't pass on the fact that mother's ceiling was dripping water.

However, as I told him, that does not detract from the half wit that decided to drain the central heating system down into my mum's house which made the damage even worse than it already was.

The guy from BG said that they didn't know anything about Saturday's incident when the contents of upstairs central heating system were drained into my mum's house - so I told him to check their call logs as I called on Saturday night, Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon and advised them on all three occasions.

I went up to mother's neighbour after speaking to BG guy but she wouldn't answer the door so I'm drafting out a letter to her, advising her that we want her insurance details as we believe her to be negligent in not advising BG of the water damage in my mum's due to the original leak and if she doesn't supply the insurance details, or has no insurance, we'll get quotes and will advise her of the costs cos she'll be paying. It might work, it might not, but God loves a trier lol.

It's not just staffords that are tenacious - it's their owners as well hahaha

IMAG0377.jpg

Hmmm. Many reasons for a combi to lose pressure? Well, two - either a leak on the external heating pipe work or an internal fault in the boiler, assuming the filling loop is closed.
Anyway, the half wit who allowed the water to drain into the ceiling void has caused the damage to Mum's place, so as I see it, he or his company are responsible and they should take care of it.
Unfortunately the neighbour above isn't helping matters either but in any event your Mum is the victim due to no fault of her own, so she should be compensated.
I get the feeling you aren't going to let go - good for you. The job of any insurer is to wriggle out of any payout, the s0ds - and as we say up here, 'shy bairns get nae chocolate'.
Even if you have the likes of 'protected no claims' or whatever, don't believe it......if you claim on yours, you are a higher risk in the future - end of.
John :)

just love that face absolute lovely dog (y), reminds me of my dog that died a few years ago which looks exactly the same as yours which reminded of her, god i miss her , i have a staffie now and always will have staffies from now on . the first dog i had was an english bull terrier which was a bit of a nutter but very very loyal which died in my early twenties and miss him as well. its a shame they only have short lives which means make the most of the time you have with them .
anyway I'm pretty sure BG record all their phone calls but proving it is another thing but keep dialogue and complaining you MIGHT get a result but on side of caution ( for your mother ) living in flats being close to each other this event could make living their a stressful thing for your mother and would you think the cost of decoration is worth it ( depending on costs i suppose ) depends on your mums thoughts really . i know your doing your best for your mum but sit back and think about it and discuss with your mum and see what she actually wants . thanks for the photo(y)

That's what I said AGAS. Sometimes you have to let these things go although it may stick in your throat. I expect your mum will say "never mind, dear"....

I know what you're all saying and it might come to that - but I'll give it a go first. There's a principle here lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back