Worcester Heatslave 15/19 Oil fired Boiler central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler - Worcester Heatslave 15/19 combi
Location - Utility room, back of house off the main living areas entered through door which is kept closed.
Number of radiators - 5
Installation 29 March 2007

My mother had a central heating system installed on 29 March 2007. The system heats up and works fine. However, after the installation engineers left, the boiler located in a utility room became very loud when the central heating came on. We called the company who installed the system and they sent their engineer to come and look at the system. He said that the boiler heating setting was too high and that caused the loudness when the central heating was in action so he turned down the central heating setting on the boiler from the highest setting to level 3. This did reduce the noise of the boiler when the central heating was in operation.

When the central heating is on one can hear a loud humming noise, but if the hot water tap is turned on and then off at the same time as the central heating being on the humming stops and does not start again until the boiler kicks in when the central heating goes below the room thermostat temperature. The humming sound starts again. This can be heard in my upstairs bedroom which is at the front of the house and has the radiator turned off (I get too hot!) and as said previously, the utility room is at the back of the house behind a closed door.

However, my mother's next door neighbour had the same system installed in November of 2006. I have gone into his house to listen to his central heating system. His boiler is set to the highest setting but makes less noise than my mother's on a lower setting. There is no humming when the central heating is on and he feels that the company who installed the system is just fobbing my mother off. What could be the problem. I might add that his wife who suffers from tinnitus came over to visit us and she could hear the humming sound and hear the difference when the hot water was turned on.

Both the heating system of my mother's neighbour and my mother's were installed under the government grant system - however my mother paid an excess of approximately GBP1400. She is 79 years old and cannot cope with problems like this. I do not live with her but do visit her regularly. She is in Cornwall and I live part time overseas and part time in London so I really do need to resolve this problem before I go back to London in May and overseas again in September. HELP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back