32mA Fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can get them from?

Little clear glass cartridge type fuse. 2 of them in our steam room steam generator just popped and I've got no spares at all and wouldn't know where to even try to buy some..

Sponsored Links
http://www.maplin.co.uk/

and look through fuses. then either collect or have them posted. But first check the rating as 32 mA is a very strange value for fuse.

And of course you need to ask why did the fuse blow. Something might be faulty.

I see your point. They seem to go up from 100mA.

Seems odd!

It definitely does however say T32mA, so at least I know it's a delayed burnout rather than fast burnout, but can I find 32mA?

As for underlying issues, we have got loads of problems with the leisure plant, but the contractors we have for repairing and maintaining them are as good as chocolate fireguards.

We had a seized and burnt-out 3-phase pump a couple of months back in our pool plant, and we had to wait 4 weeks for him to come out and say we needed a new one. I questioned this as his answer is always to just replace the units which is fine if you've got an indefinite budget, but at £500 per pump (we've had 5 over the last 6 months! Although to be fair, two were replaced under warranty.) it just strikes me as a bit of a joke as they're generally fully serviceable. :confused:

We've tried using a different contractor who claim they use local engineers, but again we found ourselves waiting for weeks because the engineer had to come up to Northumberland from Surrey or Hampshire, somewhere that way anyway. Our other option, the GM won't even consider because he had issues with them at a previous hotel he worked at. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
next time you have a pump replaced, keep the old one. Send it off to be serviced and keep it as a spare for next time.

next time you have a pump replaced, keep the old one. Send it off to be serviced and keep it as a spare for next time.

5 pumps in six months looks to me they are just fetching the old ones back with a lick of paint.
There's a root source here by the look of it, this shouldn't happen.

Ok, I've found a website that sells the fuses but how am I supposed to know whether it's a quick blow, antisurge or a delayed burnout?

Unfortunately the only 32mA 5x20mm fuses I can find are a different manufacturer so I can't find any info on the one I've got to tell me which.

Little clear glass cartridge type fuse. 2 of them in our steam room steam generator just popped ....
It occurs to me to ask whether you are certain that they really are 32mA, which seems like an extraordinarily low rating for fuses in electrical (as opposed to electronic) equipment? If you still have any intact ones (or can remember) is the fuse wire within the glass fuse visible to the naked eye?

Kind Regards, John.

There is lot of equipment, mostly audio visual, that has 32mA fuses ( yes I was surprised ) for 230volt supplies or 63mA for when it runs on 110 volt.

This sounds very "critical" and sensitive but some power supply units with semiconductors directly on the mains would need that critical protection.

I wonder if the fuses blew as a result of the 3 phase motor burning out, not directly but as the motor windings shorted out the phase balance would be wrecked ( electrically ) and the local neutral dragged away form 0 volt. This could result in the phase to neutral voltage on the supply protected by that fuse to be far greater than 230 +10% and as result the current exceeded 32mAlong enough t otake out the fuse.

There is lot of equipment, mostly audio visual, that has 32mA fuses ( yes I was surprised ) for 230volt supplies or 63mA for when it runs on 110 volt.
Indeed. As I implied, such small fuses would not be uncommon in electronic equipement - but would be, to say the least, surprisingly low for 'electrical' equipment. If they really are 32mA, I suspect they must relate to electronic bits within the electrical equipment.

Kind Regards, John

You said earlier its a T32

LBC is a Glass fuse
Check the rating as there not always rated for 250 volt

T is usually a delay fuse/anti surge fuse
F a normal fuse
FF a quick blow fuse

We had a seized and burnt-out 3-phase pump a couple of months back in our pool plant, and we had to wait 4 weeks for him to come out and say we needed a new one. I questioned this as his answer is always to just replace the units which is fine if you've got an indefinite budget, but at £500 per pump (we've had 5 over the last 6 months! Although to be fair, two were replaced under warranty.) it just strikes me as a bit of a joke as they're generally fully serviceable. :confused:

We've tried using a different contractor who claim they use local engineers, but again we found ourselves waiting for weeks because the engineer had to come up to Northumberland from Surrey or Hampshire, somewhere that way anyway. Our other option, the GM won't even consider because he had issues with them at a previous hotel he worked at. :rolleyes:

5 pump motors burnt out in 6 months is unlikey to be down to faulty units
It will more than likely down to imbalance in the motor supply
what is the pump for?
how is the motor fed? inverter or contactor
the voltage of each phase to the motor contactor needs to be measured along with
the current of each phase while the motor is running to assertain
it could be down to something as simple as a bad contact

where are you in northumberland ?
Matt

It might be a fault in the control circuit that is damaging the motors. A loose connection on one phase, a failing contact in a contactor.

You said "siezed motor" . Have you any more information as what made the motor sieze up ? Do you know if it burnt out because of a mechanical fault that went un-noticed by the service engineer.

A photo of the motor and pump might help to diagnose the problem.

Strictly speaking as this is a commercial use it should not be a DIY task so be careful about liability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back