Old fuse

upload_2018-8-15_21-44-59.png

Yes, that's fuse wire.

It's ceramic, I think. I've never considered it to be asbestos.

Sponsored Links
many fuses of that vintage have a white asbestos bedding for the fusible wire. But in that picture, there is no asbestos visible; the wire support is ceramic.

You likely have an old wylex standard board, they take Hrc fuses Bs1361, rewirable fuse wire Bs3036 or Mcb's Bs3871, all still available but each style uses a different base the only thing you cant get are RCBO'S to fit

Sponsored Links
The one in your second photo is rewirable, it does not take a cartridge fuse. And given the multiple strands of wire visible it doesn't look as if it currently contains fusewire - if some idiot has put a core from a piece of flex in there it is very dangerous.

The one in your second photo is rewirable, it does not take a cartridge fuse. And given the multiple strands of wire visible it doesn't look as if it currently contains fusewire - if some idiot has put a core from a piece of flex in there it is very dangerous.

That's interesting - we've just had to get an electrician out and he says there's been lots of bad DIY done including some 'innovative' work on some light fittings! Maybe this extended to the fuse box. I think we're going to have the fuses replaced with switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back