Fuse blown but fuse wire still intact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to turn the kitchen light on last night.
There was an almighty bang from the fuse box (old-fashioned type which uses fuse wire, 1970s vintage). All lighting circuits were knocked out. Other electrical circuits OK.

Visual inspection of the white 5A fuse -- the fuse wire does not appear to be broken.

Question: Should the fuse wire be severed in two when it "blows". Also, the fuse holder does not appear to be seated correctly in the consumer unit -- could a fuse blow cause the fuse holder to physically move?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
It could have blown right near the ends and not be immediatly visible, get a screwdriver and try and pull the wire away from the carrier to see if it comes away or stays taut

I suppose its vagely possible for it to move, put its more likely it wasn't put in properly in the first place (something that should be avoided, since with it not in properly sparks can easily come out when it blows)

Do you have access to a multimeter? If so put it on to the continuity setting and test the ends of the fuse.

When I was an apprentice, I was asked by a neigbour to have look at the lights which had "blown a fuse".

Inspection of the offending fuse showed an intact wire, so I re fitted, still no lights.

After a lot fuse swapping etc I noticed a slight arc burn on the prong of the fuse carrier, this was preventing any contact, quick scrape with a nail file cured the problem

Sponsored Links
Turned out that I was actually looking at the carbon "shadow" caused by the fuse wire blowing. My eyes are going...
Refitted fuse wire and it was fine.

Possible cause -- cheapo overhead lamps in kitchen. I think the bulb holders in them are warping, they sometimes flicker as you walk across the kitchen floor due to the vibration. I removed the blown bulb. The top half of the bulb came away, leaving the metal base of the bulb in the holder. Needed to use pliers to get it out.

Mike

mike004 said:
... The top half of the bulb came away, leaving the metal base of the bulb in the holder. Needed to use pliers to get it out.

Amazing trick for a broken lamp:

Turn off the power, get a fresh carrot out of the fridge. Cut the end off. Push the stump into the broken bulb base. Push, twist, pull.

It really works! No broken glass in your fingers!

if the stalk is still intact then taking it out is easy (though i would certainly cut the power to the circuit first, i don't trust lightswitches). I don't think i've ever had both the stalk and the bulb break.

i really don't think i'd waste food on doing it unless i was really desperate and besides i don't eat carrots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back