11kW electric cooker and 30 AMP fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 11kW electric cooker and it is loaded on a 30A mains fuse. It is the old style fuse box. There is also an electric socket off the same circuit. Since being installed 6 weeks ago, the fuse has blown twice and I calculate a 50A fuse is needed.
1. Can I get a 50A fuse?
2. Why does it blow when there is no load on the circuit?
I will turn the kettle on in the morning and no power? Surely it wouldn't blow unless the cooker was on? It's not blowing when the cooker is on.
3. There is a new style RCD consumer unit in the house but unwired. How much do you think it would cost to get it wired up?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
oconnorm said:
I have an 11kW electric cooker and it is loaded on a 30A mains fuse. It is the old style fuse box. There is also an electric socket off the same circuit. Since being installed 6 weeks ago, the fuse has blown twice and I calculate a 50A fuse is needed.
I calculate that a 26A fuse is needed. But then I never did believe those calcs, and maybe you're proving me right.

1. Can I get a 50A fuse?
No.

2. Why does it blow when there is no load on the circuit?
It can't.

I will turn the kettle on in the morning and no power? Surely it wouldn't blow unless the cooker was on? It's not blowing when the cooker is on.
Then it's something other than the cooker that is causing it to blow. It is not possible for a fuse to randomly blow when there is no current flowing through it.

3. There is a new style RCD consumer unit in the house but unwired. How much do you think it would cost to get it wired up?
Is it just lying about? In a box? Fixed to the wall? Is it the right sort for your supply?

How old is the rest of the wiring? Does your lighting circuit have an earth? Is your main and supplementary bonding up to scratch?

Do you want any new circuits put in at the same time?

thanks for the response.
It's a new place I moved into. But an old flat.
The rcd box is mounted on the wall with 2 cables into the top, however 1 is not connected. I suspect previous owners attempted to install this but didn't complete the job.

I don't want any other circuits wiring up. I am uncertain as to what else could be drawing power as I have taken out the other fuses and watched everything turn off. I would feel happier getting an electrician in to check the wiring, but I think it is dated.
I recall that there is only live and neutral to the cooker, no earth. So it must be really old wiring.

Do you think the kettle or cooker are spiking the power and hence blowing the 30A fuse? I have no other theories.

So based on this how much do you think?

Sponsored Links
oconnorm said:
thanks for the response.
It's a new place I moved into. But an old flat.
The rcd box is mounted on the wall with 2 cables into the top, however 1 is not connected. I suspect previous owners attempted to install this but didn't complete the job.
What sort of cables? Where do they go?

I don't want any other circuits wiring up. I am uncertain as to what else could be drawing power as I have taken out the other fuses and watched everything turn off. I would feel happier getting an electrician in to check the wiring, but I think it is dated.
All the more reason to get one in, I'd say.

I recall that there is only live and neutral to the cooker, no earth. So it must be really old wiring.
No earth on a cooker circuit is an extraordinarily Bad Thing™ - never heard of that no matter what the age. Are you sure about this? What makes you think there is no earth?

Have you happened to notice what type of insulation the cables have?

Do you think the kettle or cooker are spiking the power and hence blowing the 30A fuse? I have no other theories.
You said it wasn't the cooker. Unless the fuse in the kettle plug has been replaced with a nail, there's no way that it could draw enough current to blow the 30A circuit fuse.

So based on this how much do you think?
Still too many unknowns, but in any event, I'm not a sparky, so I couldn't say. People charge different rates anyway, and one major factor is whereabouts you are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back