Electric Cooker Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been asked to install a cooking range for my daughter and a little clarification of the wiring standards would be of help. There is a old style Wylex wired fuse consumer unit with a fuse rated at 30amp currently supplying a disused cooker point wired with 6mm cable. The consumer unit is located in a cupboard approximately 4 metres from the cooker. The range manufacturer says a maximum load of 15.6kw (all on) and the electrical connection can either be 10mm cable with a 40amp fuse or 6mm cable and a 30amp fuse.
1/ The range will be postioned next to the sink so I wiil earth the sink/taps to the cooker. ???
2/ Is it acceptable to put a main switch for the cooker in the cupboard with the consumer unit or must it be say above the cooker ???
3/ What kind of switch/mcb/rcd would be best to use either in the original consumer unit or as a additional unit ???

Sponsored Links
derek.d said:
I have been asked to install a cooking range for my daughter and a little clarification of the wiring standards would be of help. There is a old style Wylex wired fuse consumer unit with a fuse rated at 30amp currently supplying a disused cooker point wired with 6mm cable. The consumer unit is located in a cupboard approximately 4 metres from the cooker. The range manufacturer says a maximum load of 15.6kw (all on) and the electrical connection can either be 10mm cable with a 40amp fuse or 6mm cable and a 30amp fuse.
The accepted assumed demand calculation for that cooker produces a result of 27.3A, or 32.3A if the CCU (Cooker Control Unit) has a socket outlet, so the instructions are correct. Obviously you are more likely to have enough on in practice to overload the 6mm²/30A circuit than the 10mm²/40A. In fact, unless the cable were heavily insulated, and if you had a CU capable of it, you could use 10mm² with a 50A breaker.

1/ The range will be postioned next to the sink so I wiil earth the sink/taps to the cooker. ???
No requirement to do so, but if the sink is fed by metal pipes it won't do any harm.

2/ Is it acceptable to put a main switch for the cooker in the cupboard with the consumer unit or must it be say above the cooker ???
It shouldn't be tucked away in a cupboard 4m from the appliance. They aren't that unattractive, and people are used to seeing them in kitchens, so they are acceptable. You can get all sorts of white/brass/chrome/etc styles to match your decor.

3/ What kind of switch/mcb/rcd would be best to use either in the original consumer unit or as a additional unit ???
You should use a CCU like this

K5060WHI.JPG

The CCU or DP iso switch must be no more than 2m from the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back