Help on installing oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

If anyone could please advise, i am thinking of fitting an electric hob and electric oven, in place of an existing gas hob and electric oven. there is a 6mm cable coming from a 30amp fuse from the cu going to a cooker switch with socket and then onto the cooker. Is it possible to run a 6kw hob and 3.8kw cooker from this cable, it would be a very awkward for me to run new cables back to the consumer unit given the layout of my house.
If possible, how would i wire up from the cooker switch to appliances,
Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, is there anyway i can change the 30 amp fuse for a 45amp at the cu but keep the 6mm cable to feed oven and hob, the cu as the cartridge type fuses. Any advice will be most welcome thanks.

absolutely not..

6mm² is simply not big enough to run this kind of load..

the ONLY way you could do this is to put a changover switch in that only alows you to run one OR the other at any given time..

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the advice, i have a immersion heater switch which is 6mm and 30amp from cu that is close by and is seldom used could i run from this to the cooker but the wife also wants to keep the immersion heater is there anyway i can split this to do both.
thanks again for any advice.

festa said:
6mm twin and earth (method 1) =current carrying capacity @47A :rolleyes:

strogbow, can you describe the route taken by the cable please? Eg clipped to the wall, inside PVC trunking, in steel conduit, buried in plaster, inside an insulated cavity wall, flapping around under the floorboards, etc. Also the length of the run and the length of each section that is run differently.

Then it is possible to give a much more meaningful answer.

Thanks for reply davelx, I will try my best to explain.
The cooker cable (6mm) comes from a 30amp fuse which is cartridge type from cu which is sunk into wall all the wires then travel straight up the wall chased and plastered in they then travel under bedroom, landing and small bedroom floor then are chased down kitchen wall, the floor boards are those big chipboards, same with the immersion cable.
Is there any sort of splitter switch i can use on the imersion heater cable so it feeds either the immersion or the cooker but not at the same time.
Your help is much appreciated.

strogbow, it will be SAFE on a 30 amp fuse.

This idea is that the 6mm² cable and the appliances are adequately protected by the 30 amp protective device.

The appliances consist of electric heating elements controlled by thermostats. The elements are overrated, so even when operating the appliances at full temperature, they will cycle on and off.

Thus, the whole setup will very rarely consume the full load current and, in my opinion, it is perfectly ok to protect it with a 30 amp fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back