cooker short circuits fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am posting my problem again since I didnt explain my issue very clearly last time. I am really thankful for any help you can offer...

My 4 year old electric halogen cooker is wired to a socket in the wall. 2 days ago it seemed to short circuit after I spilt some boiling water on one of the hobs.

There are other sockets connected to the same circuit (washing machine and fridge) and they also stopped working.

I checked the fuse box and saw the 30 amp fuse had blown, so I replaced the fuse and it immediately blew again.

At the moment I have plugged the fridge into a chord to another source but the cooker and washing machine arent connected.

I havent tried to change the 30 amp fuse wire again as I assume it will just blow.

My question is: Is it likely the cooker is short-circuiting the fuse. if so, how can I temporarily bypass that so my other sockets work. Also, do you have any ideas how I can fix this (do I need a new cooker or new wiring?)

PS I havent had any problems with electrics since I moved in 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance - Jo

Sponsored Links
You should have an isolator (switch) somewhere for the cooker, turn this off and replace the blown fusewire.

Then look into the cooker ;)

Thanks LondonBoy

Any idea how I can get the cooker sussed out?

Cheers! x

Hi All

I am posting my problem again since I didnt explain my issue very clearly last time. I am really thankful for any help you can offer...

My 4 year old electric halogen cooker is wired to a socket in the wall. 2 days ago it seemed to short circuit after I spilt some boiling water on one of the hobs.

There are other sockets connected to the same circuit (washing machine and fridge) and they also stopped working.

I checked the fuse box and saw the 30 amp fuse had blown, so I replaced the fuse and it immediately blew again.

At the moment I have plugged the fridge into a chord to another source but the cooker and washing machine arent connected.

I havent tried to change the 30 amp fuse wire again as I assume it will just blow.

My question is: Is it likely the cooker is short-circuiting the fuse. if so, how can I temporarily bypass that so my other sockets work. Also, do you have any ideas how I can fix this (do I need a new cooker or new wiring?)

Thanks in advance - Jo

It sounds like you either have a radial or ring final circuit that is not a dedicated cooker circuit. Is you cooker connected to a socket with a 13amp plug?

Is this a cooker/hob combined?
Do you know what the power output of the cooker is?

Sponsored Links
Hi Riveralt

The cooker is a freestanding hob/oven (Indesit ceramic/halogen)

It is connected to a socket in the wall (no plug). The wire then goes to another socket that is labelled 'cooker' and can be switched on/off.

I'm sorry I dont know the power output of the cooker. Jo

As Londonboy said the switching off the cooker isolator switch should protect the other sockets on the circuit. Provided those sockets are before the switch and not after it. You should then try connecting one of your other appliances and see if the fuse wire is holding. I will assume that you are using the correct size fuse wire.

As regards your cooker, there are tests that could be done, but to try and take you through them on a forum will be rather difficult. You would also need some test equipment.

I hesitate to suggest other options because they will mean pulling the circuit fuse to make it safe and test that the circuit is dead - then disconnecting the cooker from the cooker switch - examine it for burn marks or loose conductors - and doing the same with the rear panel of the cooker.

If the short circuit by the water has not caused permanent damage then I would give it a few days to dry out before trying again.

But to be honest, you are probably going to have to call someone out to examine the cooker. Sorry.

Thanks for the advice!

I changed the fuse in the main fuse box after turning off the cookers socket and the rest of the appliances on the circuit worked, tried the cooker again after a couple of days but it blew up again, so I guess the cooker needs to be fixed. I will ask on the appliances forum in case anyone knows how it can be fixed. Thanks again! Jo

Hi Joanna,

Were you able to fix your cooker. I have the same exact problem with my electric cooker and 30amp fuse blew last night. I replace the fuse and it blew again as soon as I switched on the cooker switch (all the hobs were off). I would appreciate your help in this regard. Cheers

Yeah, it should have dried out by now, Joanna. Give it another go and let us know.

Hi Joanna,

Were you able to fix your cooker.

Dear Bheart

You'll get a better response iof you post a NEW TOPIC.

Digging up 4 year old topics will not help you.
Firstly it annoys everyone as we have to wade through a load of stuff that is not relevant.
Secondly your addition will mostly only be seen by whoever responded 4 years ago, so limiting the amount of help you will get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back